It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 10:01
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 1027 [0], given: 4631

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2016, 02:24
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

50% (01:00) correct 50% (01:13) wrong based on 54 sessions
Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and clueless record executives, the American popular music scene has frequently depended on cities at the edges of the cultural map to provide a much-needed shot of (ii) ________. The momentary (iii) ________ what the next big thing is seems to come out of nowhere—as if someone blows a whistle only those in the know can hear, and suddenly record executives and journalists are crawling all over what had previously been an obscure locale.

Blank iBlank iiBlank iii
a) hideboundd) originalityg) consensus about
b) liberatede) truthh) indifference to
c) obligatedf) orthodoxyi) guarantee of

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A,D, and G

Practice Questions
Question: 8
Page: 126

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 1027 [1] , given: 4631

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2016, 02:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explanation

The second sentence provides a clue for Blank (iii): the whistle metaphor and the talk about record executives and journalists “crawling all over” a location bring up the image of a race that involves a large number of people; this, and the fact that all these people congregate in one place, point to “consensus about” as the right answer choice for Blank (iii). The search for “the next big thing” suggests that the American popular music scene is looking for something new; this points to “originality” as the correct answer for Blank (ii). Finally, someone who needs a “shot of originality” is unwilling or unable to let go of the past; therefore, “hidebound” is the correct answer choice for Blank (i). Thus, the correct answer choices are hidebound (Choice A), originality (Choice D) and consensus about (Choice G).

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 5

Re: OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2017, 23:51
This post received
KUDOS
I didn't get the meaning of this sentence. Can someone please explain?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 9

Re: OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2017, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
I too could not get the meaning of the sentence.Please explain.
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 1027 [1] , given: 4631

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2017, 14:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello guys,

yes, actually the sentence seems to have no sense and in this GRE is really tough.

Premise

You should ask why the sentence is difficult to grasp. This is the first and foremost question to wonder. Mainly, there are two reasons why is difficult:

1) I do not know certain words or vocabulary terms that make the meaning really obscure and blurry.
2) Even if I know the sentence word by word I do not catch the overall meaning because my English knowledge is limited. I.E. I do not read enough English via newspaper, articles, the economist or whatever is useful to improve my English skills overall.

Now back to the question.

The American popular music scene is rich, is big, is huge; it produce success and money but until a certain point, saying to the point of saturation (no one band or star can sell 10 millions of record every record they release).

Now, as a strategy the music industry use oversweet commercial radio and stupid executives to keep up the circus, the music business. But when you reach the saturation point you, among different strategies, can follow the strategy to reach new people or a new audience to stay afloat with your revenue, money, and business.

For instance, a possible example to clarify is when an old rock band plays gig outside or the normal circuit: band X plays in China or Russia where nobody was there, having successful concerts. This is the sense of the sentence depended on cities at the edges of the cultural map to provide a much-needed shot of

So when you have a gig in these locales in non-usual circuit of gigs (I play my concert at Fort Alamo in new mexico where nobody played before) alike someone blows a whistle drawing the attention, the same here is attracted the attention of journalists and other executives.

Guys ask if something is still unclear to you. And yes this question was really tough.

Regards

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2018, 10:39
Expert's post
Replying to a private message.

This is a very difficult and complex question.

Starting from what we do know: always read the sentence very carefully and trying to get the gist of it. reword it in your own owrds if this is useful to you. try to make it in simple few words.

Now,
Quote:
the American popular music scene has frequently depended on cities at the edges of the cultural map to provide a much-needed shot of (ii) ________.

This is the core of the entire sentnce.

What it is conveying: cities at the periphery of the music ofaten provide a shot (or a chance) or what ?? of the 3 middle blanks originality is the most suitable. why originality fits the bill ?? because we are talking about music; truth and orthodoxy have no much sense.

Relòated to this is the second part of the sentence: the momentary consensus (or general agreement, something on which all of most of all are agreeing) comes from that aforementioned periphery AND when this happens all people seem wake up and their attention is awekened kinda like a wistle in the complete silence of a room, where no rumor is in.

The cities of the main part of the entire sentence are kept retrogade or hide by the radio shows that cover coventional way of music and not different paths or place from where originality could come in and refurbish the music genre as a whole.

Hope now is more clear.

Regards

GRE Forum Moderator
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 26

Re: OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2018, 07:59
I easily got the last two blanks. You are right. If one can pinpoint the 'originality' part of the answer then the third one becomes quite obvious as well. What I am struggling with is why the first one is not obligated. I get why hidebound is the answer but struggling to understand why obligated is not the answer.

Regards,
Scrat

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2018, 08:23
Expert's post
You struggle because you do not think critically, looking at the question from an odd angle.

Put this way

Even though, the American popular music scene has frequently depended on cities at the edges of the cultural map

those same cities were kept hidebound by cloying commercial radio and clueless record executives

I.E. the mainstream needed those marginal cities for the business purpose BUT at the same time those cities were neglected and maintained retrograde (hidebound).

Under this light, obligated has no sense, completely.

Hope now is more clear the strategy you have to use and follow.

Regards

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2018, 16:47
Carcass wrote:
Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and clueless record executives, the American popular music scene has frequently depended on cities at the edges of the cultural map to provide a much-needed shot of (ii) ________. The momentary (iii) ________ what the next big thing is seems to come out of nowhere—as if someone blows a whistle only those in the know can hear, and suddenly record executives and journalists are crawling all over what had previously been an obscure locale.

Blank iBlank iiBlank iii
a) hideboundd) originalityg) consensus about
b) liberatede) truthh) indifference to
c) obligatedf) orthodoxyi) guarantee of

A,D, and G

Practice Questions
Question: 8
Page: 126

I got the correct answers-hidebound, originality,consensus-after 1:38, is there a way to figure out the answers faster without having to reread so often?

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2018, 14:39
Expert's post
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Sometimes you just look for clues sometimes you have to read the sentence as a whole. Sometimes is trial and error without clues or an easy grasp of the sentence as a whole.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Re: OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2018, 14:39

OG_VPR # 8 Kept (i) ________ by cloying commercial radio and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact