It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 07:16
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 7 The company’s efforts to improve safety were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1030 [0], given: 4640

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 7 The company’s efforts to improve safety were [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2016, 06:05
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

81% (00:53) correct 18% (00:32) wrong based on 16 sessions
The company’s efforts to improve safety were apparently (i)___________ , at least according to the company’s own data, which showed that the (ii)_________ incidents with the potential to cause a serious accident declined significantly. Nevertheless, independent analysts argue that those statistics are (iii)_________. These analysts maintain that the company has consistently underestimated both the probability and the likely effects of accidents in the sensitive and poorly understood environment in which the company is operating.

Blank iBlank iiBlank iii
A innovativeD frequency ofG deceptive
B successfulE impediments toH testable
C frustratedF attention toI consistent

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B, D, and G

Practice Questions
Question: 7
Page: 80
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1030 [0], given: 4640

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 7 The company’s efforts to improve safety were [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2016, 06:07
Expert's post
Explanation

Since the analysts found that the company’s statistics underestimated the potential for accidents, the answer to Blank (iii) must reflect the inaccuracy or inapplicability of those statistics. “Deceptive” is the only choice that does so. Blank (i) must then be answered with a choice that reflects the more positive view of accident prevention that deceptive statistics might provide. “Frustrated” efforts would imply the opposite, and while “innovative” has positive connotations, the passage is concerned with the effectiveness of safety measures rather than with their novelty.
Thus “successful” is the correct choice. Finally, the word for Blank (ii) describes something related to potentially dangerous incidents that would indicate if it were to decline. If “impediments to” or “attention to” such incidents were to decline, that would likely have the opposite implication. However, fewer such incidents would presumably be a sign of improved safety; thus “frequency of” is the correct response. Thus the correct answer is successful (Choice B), frequency of (Choice D), and deceptive (Choice G).

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Re: OG_VPR # 7 The company’s efforts to improve safety were   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2016, 06:07

OG_VPR # 7 The company’s efforts to improve safety were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact