It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 06:01
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 7 That today’s students of American culture tend t

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1033 [0], given: 4647

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 7 That today’s students of American culture tend t [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2016, 06:43
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

51% (00:55) correct 48% (01:03) wrong based on 33 sessions
That today’s students of American culture tend to (i) _________ classical music is understandable. In our own time, America’s musical high culture has degenerated into a formulaic entertainment divorced from the contemporary moment. Thus, to miss out on what our orchestras are up to is not to (ii) _________ much. In the late Gilded Age, however, music was widely esteemed as the “queen of the arts.” Classical music was in its American heyday, (iii) _________ the culture at large.

Blank iBlank iiBlank iii
a) promoted) sacrificeg) antagonistic toward
b) reinterprete) appreciateh) generally rejected by
c) ignoref) maligni) centrally embedded in

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C,D, and I

Practice Questions
Question: 7
Page: 85
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 7 That today’s students of American culture tend t [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2016, 06:44
Expert's post
Explanation

The “however” of the next-to-last sentence indicates that the author’s characterization of the relationship between classical music and popular culture during the Gilded Age contrasts with the current state of affairs. Since music was widely esteemed during the Gilded Age, it follows that it is viewed more negatively, or disregarded, during the current era. Of the choices for Blank (i), “ignore” is the only choice that conveys this sentiment; “promote” connotes the opposite, while “reinterpret” suggests a different sort of positive engagement with classical music that is otherwise unmentioned in the passage. The author characterizes the current disconnection between music and culture as understandable, and uses pejorative language (“degenerated,” “formulaic”) to describe current classical music. Of the three choices for Blank (ii), “sacrifice” best conveys this dismissive attitude; “appreciate” would convey that those who forego orchestral concerts are indeed missing something worthwhile, while “malign” overstates the presumed level of feeling and activity of one who simply does not attend concerts. Since the lack of a connection between culture and classical music must contrast with the relationship during the Gilded Age, the answer to Blank (iii) is “centrally embedded in.” Of the other two choices, “generally rejected by” would provide no contrast, while “antagonistic toward” suggests a relationship that would not explain why music was
so widely esteemed. Thus the correct answer is ignore (Choice C), sacrifice (Choice D), and centrally embedded in (Choice I).

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NYU
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q162 V150
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 16

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 7 That today’s students of American culture tend t [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2018, 19:18
whoa. @carcass if you were to give one advice I can come up with "sacrifice", what would it be? From which part of the sentence did you conjecture that the answer would be sacrifice?

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 7 That today’s students of American culture tend t [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2018, 10:22
Expert's post
Actually, the entire passage could be split into two parts

That today’s students of American culture tend to (i) _________ classical music is understandable. In our own time, America’s musical high culture has degenerated into a formulaic entertainment divorced from the contemporary moment. Thus, to miss out on what our orchestras are up to is not to (ii) _________ much.

Which has a negative connotation: to the new generations do not care that much of classical music. So, what it represents might be dismissed (sacrifice)

In the late Gilded Age, however, music was widely esteemed as the “queen of the arts.” Classical music was in its American heyday, (iii) _________ the culture at large.

The second part has a positive connotation: look at queen of the arts.

Regards

Re: OG_VPR # 7 That today’s students of American culture tend t   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2018, 10:22

OG_VPR # 7 That today’s students of American culture tend t

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact