It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 06:16
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 7 Despite her relaxed and flexible style, Ms. de la

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1050 [0], given: 4701

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 7 Despite her relaxed and flexible style, Ms. de la [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2016, 01:31
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

51% (00:22) correct 48% (00:30) wrong based on 72 sessions
Despite her relaxed and flexible style, Ms. de la Fressange is __________ businesswoman who knows how to market her brand: herself.

A) a ruthless

B) a creative

C) a canny

D) an industrious

E) a shrewd

F) an effective

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C and E

Practice Questions
Question: 7
Page: 110
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 7 Despite her relaxed and flexible style, Ms. de la [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2016, 01:32
Expert's post
Explanation

The sentence describes Ms. de la Fressange as a businesswoman but none of the words besides “canny” and “shrewd” provide sentences that are alike in meaning. Thus the correct answer is a canny (Choice C) and a shrewd (Choice E).

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 4

Re: OG_VPR # 7 Despite her relaxed and flexible style, Ms. de la [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2017, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
why not option D??
coz keyword despite her relax... and last word herself justify option D.kindly explain

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 7 Despite her relaxed and flexible style, Ms. de la [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2017, 11:08
Expert's post
gre99 wrote:
why not option D??
coz keyword despite her relax... and last word herself justify option D.kindly explain

No because industrious means : working energetically and devotedly; hard-working; diligent

You do need canny which means : astute; shrewd; knowing; sagacious

In this sentence you do need two words alike in meaning. Canny and industrious are different.

Hope this helps

GRE Forum Moderator
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 26

Re: OG_VPR # 7 Despite her relaxed and flexible style, Ms. de la [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2018, 10:26
I thought this question could be answered with two not so synonymous words like effective and creative. As she knows how to brand herself, that may indicate to her effectivity as a businesswoman also, to brand herself she might need to be creative despite her seemingly relaxed style. I get that I am wrong according to the official book but I can't find anything in the sentence that suggests that she was shrewd and canny which are ofcourse synonyms.

Regards,
Scrat
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NYU
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q162 V150
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 16

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 7 Despite her relaxed and flexible style, Ms. de la [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2018, 08:25
a quick question to gre gurus: For SE questions, would answers always be the synonyms to each other?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: OG_VPR # 7 Despite her relaxed and flexible style, Ms. de la [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2018, 10:15
This post received
KUDOS
hyom wrote:
a quick question to gre gurus: For SE questions, would answers always be the synonyms to each other?

Now this is a great question!

The answer is "most of the time they are clearly synonyms of each other - but not always!"

Here is an example from the textbooks used in the Veritas Prep GRE course. While this is not an official question it is very similar to several questions from official GRE materials. I use this question because it has two advantages. 1) You have likely not seen it before and 2) It is a perfect illustration of my point.

Let's start with the answer choices:

A) Solution
B) Mixture
C) Explanation
D) Extension
E) Settlement
F) Attenuation

If you were to just look at these answers you would say that the synonyms are what?

A and B or A and C, right? A Solution is a Mixture on the Quant section! And a Solution is an Explanation here on GRE Club!

But what about when we put it into the sentence?

"As the city’s activities ground to a halt because of an impasse in the union’s negotiations with management, all eyes turned to the president in the hopes that he would create an equitable _____________ to the weeks-old transit strike."

What is the correct answer now?

Remember that the two correct answers create a SENTENCE with the same meaning. And while the answers themselves are usually synonyms, they do not have to be.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A and E

David Newland
Veritas Prep GRE Instructor

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: OG_VPR # 7 Despite her relaxed and flexible style, Ms. de la [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2018, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
Scrat wrote:
I thought this question could be answered with two not so synonymous words like effective and creative. As she knows how to brand herself, that may indicate to her effectivity as a businesswoman also, to brand herself she might need to be creative despite her seemingly relaxed style. I get that I am wrong according to the official book but I can't find anything in the sentence that suggests that she was shrewd and canny which are ofcourse synonyms.

Regards,
Scrat

As I just described in the immediately prior post, the correct answers do not always have to strictly be synonyms of each other, and as you see from my example the two words could possibly be as different as "creative" is from "effective".

But the difference is this: In my example the two answers - although apparently not synonyms themselves - absolutely give you a sentence with the same meaning when they are added in. But not the same for the two words you have chosen.

"a creative businesswoman" is different from "an effective businesswoman" so it is the fact that IN CONTEXT the words do not produce the same meaning to the sentence that keeps "creative" and "effective" from being the answers here.

As to "shrewd" and "canny" - the sentence gives us the basis for these words by telling us that the businesswoman knows how to market her brand. So shrewd and canny work just as well as effective and creative and - as you mentioned - they also give the sentence the same meaning. And that is the point right?

Sentence Equivalence is not just about picking two words that make a great and logical sentence...it is about picking two words that make a great, logical, and equivalent sentence!

David Newland
Veritas Prep GRE Instructor

Re: OG_VPR # 7 Despite her relaxed and flexible style, Ms. de la   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2018, 10:25

OG_VPR # 7 Despite her relaxed and flexible style, Ms. de la

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact