It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 06:31
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 7 Bureaucrats tend to (i) _______ So it is surprisi

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1033 [0], given: 4647

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 7 Bureaucrats tend to (i) _______ So it is surprisi [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2016, 02:17
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

24% (00:51) correct 75% (01:13) wrong based on 53 sessions
Bureaucrats tend to (i) _______ So it is surprising that the European Commission is proposing to hand back some of its antitrust powers to national governments. Such a willingness to (ii) _______ power is quite (iii) _______ Perhaps the commission, so often a byword for meddling, bungling, and even corruption, is starting to put its house in order following the forced resignation of the previous lot of commissioners last year.

Blank iBlank iiBlank iii
a) value complex proceduresd) devolveg) troubling
b) guard their authority jealouslye) misuseh) encouraging
c) shirk many of their responsibilitiesf) appropriatei) predictable

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B,D, and H

Practice Questions
Question: 7
Page: 154
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

2 KUDOS received
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1033 [2] , given: 4647

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 7 Bureaucrats tend to (i) _______ So it is surprisi [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2016, 02:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explanation

The second sentence states that the European Commission’s current actions are surprising, so they must run counter to the general tendency of bureaucrats described in Blank (i). Since the commission is considering giving up powers it currently possesses, “guard their authority jealously” expresses the opposite of this action, so it is the correct choice. The other two options could potentially describe the process of delegating powers back to national governments; therefore the commission’s actions would not be described as surprising in the context of either of those bureaucratic tendencies. Blank (ii) calls for a word that paraphrases the commission’s proposal; since “devolve” is a synonym for delegate, it is the correct choice. “Appropriate” expresses the opposite, while “misuse” suggests a negative judgment about the commission’s actions belied by the author’s hope that they mark a positive turn. Blank (iii) calls for an adjective describing the commission’s actions. Since the author is hopeful that this latest proposal marks a new direction for a commission whose history is described in negative terms, the correct choice for Blank (iii) is “encouraging.” “Predictable” does not fit because the proposal is described as potentially marking a break in the commission’s former bad practices, and “troubling” does not work because that change is described as a positive rather than a negative one. Thus the correct answer is guard their authority jealously (Choice B), devolve (Choice D), and encouraging (Choice H).

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

GRE Forum Moderator
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 26

Re: OG_VPR # 7 Bureaucrats tend to (i) _______ So it is surprisi [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2018, 09:58
Correct me if I am wrong but at first try, I thought appropriate could be an answer since I was considering the secondary meaning. Though for the second bracket 'appropriate' could have been a right answer if its secondary meaning -'allocate' or 'assign' was used, due to the presence of 'devolve' which is the opposite of centralizing we are expected to choose 'devolve' as the right answer.

Regards,
Scrat
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NYU
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q162 V150
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 16

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 7 Bureaucrats tend to (i) _______ So it is surprisi [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2018, 13:53
Scrat wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong but at first try, I thought appropriate could be an answer since I was considering the secondary meaning. Though for the second bracket 'appropriate' could have been a right answer if its secondary meaning -'allocate' or 'assign' was used, due to the presence of 'devolve' which is the opposite of centralizing we are expected to choose 'devolve' as the right answer.

Regards,
Scrat

"appropriate" as a verb means use for specific purpose to back up something (correct me if I'm wrong). That's why I eliminated that answer choice.
Re: OG_VPR # 7 Bureaucrats tend to (i) _______ So it is surprisi   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2018, 13:53

OG_VPR # 7 Bureaucrats tend to (i) _______ So it is surprisi

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact