It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 10:06
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Founder
Founder
Followers: 264

Kudos [?]: 3134 [0], given: 11514

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2016, 02:55
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

40% (00:42) correct 59% (00:51) wrong based on 283 sessions
The gaps in existing accounts of the playwright’s life are not (i) _________, since much of the documentary evidence on which historians have relied is (ii) ________.

Blank iBlank ii
a) triflingd) credible
b) obviouse) extant
c) implicitf) incomplete

Practice Questions
Question: 6
Page: 85
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Founder
Founder

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2016, 02:56
Expert's post
Explanation

The sentence focuses on the relationship between the gaps in existing accounts of a life and the evidence used to produce those accounts. Since “gaps” implies a concern with completeness, the characterization of that evidence that makes the most sense for Blank (ii) is “incomplete.” The other choices, “credible” or “extant,” could explain the accuracy or verifiability of the accounts in question but nothing about the gaps themselves. Once it is determined that “incomplete” is the best choice for characterizing the evidence, it follows that the gaps in the accounts based on that evidence would likely be considerable, so the opposite of considerable, “trifling,” is the correct answer for Blank (i). Thus the correct answer is trifling (Choice A) and incomplete (Choice F).

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [5] , given: 7

Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2018, 23:07
This post received
KUDOS
I'm struggling to understand why TRIFLING is the answer.
Here's how I'm struggling - if evidence is incomplete/missing, then why would these gaps be important?
Founder
Founder

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2018, 01:37
Expert's post
Because trifling means meaningless, insignificant NOT important, trivial.

For this reason is the right one. You instead think that trifling means IMPORTANT. It is exactly the contrary.

Hope this helps

Regards

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2018, 13:24
Thank you for your response but I don't know why I'm still confused lol.
The original sentence states that these gaps are "not trifling". So isn't NOT trifling = meaningful, important?
Founder
Founder

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2018, 10:27
Expert's post
Your reflection is not without sense.

However, in the second part of the sentence, the right word is incomplete BUT we do have gaps in the first part of the same. As such, the gaps are NOT trivial i.e they are important.

The gaps in existing accounts of the playwright’s life are not trifling, which means they are important eventhough theay are incomplete.

I admit is convoluted and tough the sentence.

Hope this helps.

Ask if something does not convince you yet.

Regards

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 0

Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2018, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
jen6 wrote:
Thank you for your response but I don't know why I'm still confused lol.
The original sentence states that these gaps are "not trifling". So isn't NOT trifling = meaningful, important?

This sentence sounds like a very cruel double negative. Trifling means unimportant but the "not" in front of it negates its meaning so in the end the word we are looking for is the opposite of important. This is one of those sentences pseudo-intellectuals use to sound intelligent and polished as if making one's writing more obscure and opaque is synonymous to refined.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2018, 04:36
B and D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 15

Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2018, 02:03
My only question is why is A and D not a good answer suggestion?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 0

Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2018, 02:58
This post received
KUDOS
Emike56 wrote:
My only question is why is A and D not a good answer suggestion?

The definition of the word trifling is trivial or unimportant. Let's complete the first blank with one of the definitions of trifling.

The gaps in existing accounts of the playwright’s life are not UNIMPORTANT, since much of the documentary evidence on which historians have relied is (ii) ________.

The presence of a "not" in front of the unimportant creates a double negative (something that is NOT IMPORTANT would be unimportant and something that is NOT UNIMPORTANT would be important). This means that the first part of the sentence means that the gaps in the existing accounts are important. If the gaps are important then we need a word that justifies it in the second part. If the documentation were "credible" then nobody would be arguing there are gaps about the playwritghts' life. "Extant" may fit but it doesnt justify why there are gaps. "incomplete" works because incomplete historical documentation would lead to gaps in the understanding of a historical event.

I personally hate this question because English ia very direct language and that double negative is a little infuariating. People dont say "i am NOT doing unwell" when they want to say they are doing well.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2019, 20:13
"since much of the documentary evidence on which historians have relied is" means ? relied means rely on ? Is there any twist ?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2019, 23:41
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:
Explanation

The sentence focuses on the relationship between the gaps in existing accounts of a life and the evidence used to produce those accounts. Since “gaps” implies a concern with completeness, the characterization of that evidence that makes the most sense for Blank (ii) is “incomplete.” The other choices, “credible” or “extant,” could explain the accuracy or verifiability of the accounts in question but nothing about the gaps themselves. Once it is determined that “incomplete” is the best choice for characterizing the evidence, it follows that the gaps in the accounts based on that evidence would likely be considerable, so the opposite of considerable, “trifling,” is the correct answer for Blank (i). Thus the correct answer is trifling (Choice A) and incomplete (Choice F).

The answer from OG is A and D. What am I missing?
I got the answer right according to above explanation but I got really confused when I saw the OG answer to be A and D.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2019, 22:35
trifling,incomplete
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 161

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 6 The gaps in existing accounts of the play [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2019, 05:56
akanshaxo wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Explanation

The sentence focuses on the relationship between the gaps in existing accounts of a life and the evidence used to produce those accounts. Since “gaps” implies a concern with completeness, the characterization of that evidence that makes the most sense for Blank (ii) is “incomplete.” The other choices, “credible” or “extant,” could explain the accuracy or verifiability of the accounts in question but nothing about the gaps themselves.Once it is determined that “incomplete” is the best choice for characterizing the evidence, it follows that the gaps in the accounts based on that evidence would likely be considerable, so the opposite of considerable, “trifling,” is the correct answer for Blank (i). Thus the correct answer is trifling (Choice A) and incomplete (Choice F).

The answer from OG is A and D. What am I missing?
I got the answer right according to the above explanation but I got really confused when I saw the OG answer to be A and D.

What is OG? According to the ETS official guide the real answer is A, and F.

Attachment:
Screenshot from 2019-10-30 19-56-32.png
Screenshot from 2019-10-30 19-56-32.png [ 459.39 KiB | Viewed 2974 times ]

Just think, "The data" as though is incomplete, So "The Gap" has no value.

New to the GRE, and GRE CLUB Forum?
GRE: All About GRE | Search GRE Specific Questions | Download Vault