It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 05:51
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 5 The governor has long been obsessed with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1033 [0], given: 4647

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 5 The governor has long been obsessed with [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2016, 00:47
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

64% (00:36) correct 35% (01:06) wrong based on 42 sessions
The governor has long been obsessed with excising the media from the politician-public relationship. That’s been the unifying aim of all her seemingly disconnected ventures since entering public life: a determination to (i) _________, and eventually (ii) _________, the media’s hold on political communication.

Blank iBlank ii
a) conceald) augment
b) erodee) consolidate
c) rejuvenatef) end

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B and F

Practice Questions
Question: 5
Page: 82

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 5 The governor has long been obsessed with [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2016, 00:48
Expert's post
Explanation

Blanks (i) and (ii) must describe what the governor wants to do to “the media’s hold on political communication.” From the first sentence, it is clear that the governor’s goal is to “excise” or eliminate the media as an intermediary between politicians and the public; this must be the meaning of the answer to Blank (ii), which describes the governor’s eventual, or long-term, goal. The only answer choice for Blank (ii) that has this meaning is “end,” so it is correct. The answer to Blank (i) must be a word that denotes the initial phase of a gradual process that ends with the complete elimination of the media’s influence; the answer choice that fits this meaning is “erode,” so it is correct. Thus the correct answer is erode (Choice B) and end (Choice F).

1 KUDOS received
GRE Instructor
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 1118 [1] , given: 7

Re: OG_VPR # 5 The governor has long been obsessed with [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2018, 14:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Carcass wrote:
The governor has long been obsessed with excising the media from the politician-public relationship. That’s been the unifying aim of all her seemingly disconnected ventures since entering public life: a determination to (i) _________, and eventually (ii) _________, the media’s hold on political communication.

Blank iBlank ii
a) conceald) augment
b) erodee) consolidate
c) rejuvenatef) end

B and F

Practice Questions
Question: 5
Page: 82

The 1st sentence tells us that the governor wants to REMOVE (excise) the media from the politician-public relationship.
The last part of the 2nd sentence tells us that the governor is determined to (i) _________, and eventually (ii) _________, the media’s hold on political communication.
From this context, we might say that REMOVE fits nicely for blank ii (since that is the governor's goal)

We can also see that blank i is the first step towards eventually REMOVING the media's hold.
So, the word here should be a precursor to the actually removing the media's hold.
A word like LESSEN might work for blank i.

Now check the answer choices for words similar to LESSEN and REMOVE
The only ones that work are ERODE and END

Answer: B and F

RELATED VIDEO

Brent Hanneson – Creator of greenlighttestprep.com

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 5 The governor has long been obsessed with [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2018, 15:17
Expert's post
The mastermind on the verbal side, as well.

8-)

Re: OG_VPR # 5 The governor has long been obsessed with   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2018, 15:17

OG_VPR # 5 The governor has long been obsessed with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact