It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 05:15
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 4 While many outside the company attributed the com

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1033 [0], given: 4647

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 4 While many outside the company attributed the com [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2016, 01:18
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

67% (00:37) correct 32% (01:25) wrong based on 40 sessions
While many outside the company attributed the company’s success to its president’s(i) _________, insiders realized that this success owed more to the president’s inflexibility than to any (ii) _________ that the president might be supposed to have displayed.

Blank iBlank ii
a) perseveranced) obduracy
b) popularitye) caprice
c) presciencef) foresight

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C/F

Practice Questions
Question: 4
Page: 184
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1033 [0], given: 4647

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 4 While many outside the company attributed the com [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2016, 01:19
Expert's post
Explanation

The second part of the sentence suggests that there is a contrast between a negative quality of the president (“inflexibility”) that was the actual primary cause
of the company’s success and a positive quality named by Blank (ii) that the outsiders took to be the cause. Among the answer choices for Blank (ii), only “foresight” denotes a positive quality, so it is the correct answer. The sentence as a whole implies that the answer to Blank (i) must be similar in meaning to the answer for Blank (ii); the only answer choice that is synonymous with “foresight” is “prescience,” so it is the correct answer for Blank (i). Thus the correct answer is prescience (Choice C) and foresight (Choice F).

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 66

Re: OG_VPR # 4 While many outside the company attributed the com [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2017, 01:07
Why can't be A/D? Perseverance and obdurance are synonyms on many thesauri and, at least in my opinion, they have not a negative connotation, so they should be an adequate choice.
1 KUDOS received
GRE Forum Moderator
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 26

Re: OG_VPR # 4 While many outside the company attributed the com [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2018, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
The first part of the sentence and second part indicates that both the blanks should mean the same thing. In the first part, the president is applauded for his () and in the second part is referring to that () and stating that it might not be the case. In both the cases, the blanks represent the same thing. Although perseverance and obdurate in hindsight have the same meaning, they don't have the same premise. Perseverance is some kind of appreciation, whilst obdurate has a negative connotation. As for prescience and foresight, they have the similar meaning. I think you might not need this anymore but still stating my understanding to check if I am right or wrong :p

Regards,
Scrat
Re: OG_VPR # 4 While many outside the company attributed the com   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2018, 08:12

OG_VPR # 4 While many outside the company attributed the com

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact