It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 19:41
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 4 The setting in which the concert took place (i) _

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 967 [2] , given: 4474

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 4 The setting in which the concert took place (i) _ [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2016, 00:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

53% (00:26) correct 46% (00:59) wrong based on 41 sessions
The setting in which the concert took place (i) _______: the group’s performance was elegant and polished, but the sound, which seeped across the cold, unresonant high school auditorium, was oddly (ii) _________, given the energy the players seemed to be putting into it.

Blank iBlank ii
a) exacted a tolld) clangorous
b) encouraged nervousnesse) tepid
c) solved a dilemmaf) inviting

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A and E

Practice Questions
Question: 4
Page: 82
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 967 [1] , given: 4474

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 4 The setting in which the concert took place (i) _ [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2016, 00:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explanation

The “but” in the sentence suggests that there is a contrast between the group’s overall performance and the quality of the sound; since the former is given a positive description (“elegant and polished”), the description of the latter in Blank (ii) must be negative. Furthermore, the quality of the sound must be in contrast with the apparent energy of the performers. The only answer choice for Blank (ii) that meets these conditions is “tepid,” so it is correct. The sentence as a whole suggests that the setting of the concert had a negative effect on the performance; the answer choice for Blank (i) that best fits this meaning is “exacted a toll,” so it is correct. Answer Choice B for Blank (i), “encouraged nervousness,” is also negative in meaning, but it is incorrect, because the sentence does not talk about the psychological state of the musicians or the audience. Thus the correct answer is exacted a toll (Choice A) and tepid (Choice E).

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: OG_VPR # 4 The setting in which the concert took place (i) _ [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2018, 05:47
Hi Carcass,

WHy is clangorous not the answer here?

Regards,
Abhishek Sihna

Carcass wrote:
Explanation

The “but” in the sentence suggests that there is a contrast between the group’s overall performance and the quality of the sound; since the former is given a positive description (“elegant and polished”), the description of the latter in Blank (ii) must be negative. Furthermore, the quality of the sound must be in contrast with the apparent energy of the performers. The only answer choice for Blank (ii) that meets these conditions is “tepid,” so it is correct. The sentence as a whole suggests that the setting of the concert had a negative effect on the performance; the answer choice for Blank (i) that best fits this meaning is “exacted a toll,” so it is correct. Answer Choice B for Blank (i), “encouraged nervousness,” is also negative in meaning, but it is incorrect, because the sentence does not talk about the psychological state of the musicians or the audience. Thus the correct answer is exacted a toll (Choice A) and tepid (Choice E).

Kudos [?]: 967 [0], given: 4474

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 4 The setting in which the concert took place (i) _ [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2018, 15:08
Expert's post
Because the meaning of option D is deafening I.E a lot aloud.

Instead, here we need a word that expresses the emotion and the state of the audience regarding about the group. The audience reaction was tiepid I.E not so enthusiast.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q159 V151
GPA: 4
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: OG_VPR # 4 The setting in which the concert took place (i) _ [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2018, 06:12
Carcass wrote:

Instead, here we need a word that expresses the emotion and the state of the audience regarding about the group. The audience reaction was tiepid I.E not so enthusiast.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Are we sure it was the audience's reaction? In the sentence, only the quality of the sound has been discussed. It could be the sound coming from the performance.

Kudos [?]: 967 [0], given: 4474

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 4 The setting in which the concert took place (i) _ [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2018, 05:52
Expert's post
parseltongue wrote:
Carcass wrote:

Hope this helps.

Regards

Are we sure it was the audience's reaction? In the sentence, only the quality of the sound has been discussed. It could be the sound coming from the performance.

Both. Please refer to the explanation above.

Thank you.

Ask for further assistance.

Regards

Re: OG_VPR # 4 The setting in which the concert took place (i) _   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2018, 05:52

OG_VPR # 4 The setting in which the concert took place (i) _

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact