It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 16:26
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 24-25 In November 1753, the British author Sarah Fi

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1031 [0], given: 4643

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 24-25 In November 1753, the British author Sarah Fi [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2016, 07:21
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

50% (05:28) correct 50% (02:59) wrong based on 2 sessions
In November 1753, the British author Sarah Fielding accepted half the payment for her novel The Cry and asked that the other half, when due, go to her “or to whomsoever I shall appoint,” perhaps indicating that the remaining share was intended for someone else. Indeed, many think that the novel was a collaborative venture between Fielding and Jane Collier. This particular collaboration was likely enough, as the two were close friends with common interests. They wrote jointly authored letters, were both published authors with a lively interest in each other’s work, and were enthusiastic supporters of didacticism and innovation in fiction—central concerns of The Cry. However, contemporaries ascribed the work solely to Fielding, and there is nothing in the novel that is incompatible with Fielding’s other writings.
For the following question, consider each of the choices separately and select all that apply.

The passage presents which of the following as evidence in favor of Fielding and Collier’s having collaborated in writing The Cry?

• Their friendship
  • Their joint authorship of correspondence
  • Their approach to fiction

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A/B/C

It can be inferred that the author of the passage would agree with which of the following claims about The Cry?

A) It develops themes commonly found in published works.
B) It reflects an interest in the purposes to which fiction may be put.
C) It contains elements that are incompatible with any of Collier’s solo writings.
D) It shows that the extent of Collier and Fielding’s shared interests was not as wide as is generally thought.
E) Parts of it were written jointly by Fielding and Collier.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

Practice Questions
Question: 24-25
Page: 163

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1031 [0], given: 4643

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 24-25 In November 1753, the British author Sarah Fi [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2016, 07:24
Expert's post
Explanation

24) All three choices are correct. The question asks what is offered as evidence of the joint authorship of The Cry. Choice A is correct: the passage states that Fielding and Collier “were close friends.” Choice B is correct: the passage states that Fielding and Collier “wrote jointly
authored letters.” Choice C is correct: the passage states that Fielding and Collier were both “enthusiastic supporters of didacticism and innovation in fiction.”

25) The passage states that The Cry’s “central concerns” are “didacticism and innovation in fiction,” so Choice B is correct. The passage does not discuss how
popular the novel’s themes are (Choice A), whether the writing is compatible with Collier’s (Choice C), or what the novel shows about the extent of Collier and Fielding’s joint interests (Choice D). Finally, Choice E is incorrect, as the author of the passage never takes a stand on whether the novel was written by Fielding alone or in collaboration with Collier.

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 38

Re: OG_VPR # 24-25 In November 1753, the British author Sarah Fi [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2017, 12:04
The passage claims that Fielding and Collier were friends with common interests. I think, it does not mean that they are friends or have a friendship. For instance, I can have a friend with common interests but he can not be my friend, he just can share my interests. Therefore, I disregarded the answer A in the first question.

What you think, you become.

Re: OG_VPR # 24-25 In November 1753, the British author Sarah Fi   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2017, 12:04

OG_VPR # 24-25 In November 1753, the British author Sarah Fi

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact