It is currently 05 Aug 2020, 17:33
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 1 Retrofitted with stabilizing devices, some of wh

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Founder
Founder
Followers: 264

Kudos [?]: 3153 [0], given: 11558

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 1 Retrofitted with stabilizing devices, some of wh [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2016, 07:06
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

75% (00:28) correct 24% (00:45) wrong based on 172 sessions
Retrofitted with stabilizing devices, some of which ______ its aesthetics, the bridge has been reopened, no longer prone to excessive swaying but not quite the breathtaking structure it originally was.

A) impair

B) resist

C) improve

D) enhance

E) restore

F) compromise

Practice Questions
Question: 1
Page: 105
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Founder
Founder

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 1 Retrofitted with stabilizing devices, some of wh [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2016, 07:07
Expert's post
Explanation

The sentence suggests that the addition of devices to make the bridge more stable has consequently lessened its previous aesthetic impact as a “breathtaking structure.” The words “restore,” “improve,” and “enhance” do not describe the appropriate qualitative direction of the change caused by the retrofitting as “impair” and “compromise” do. Though “resist” makes some sense when inserted into the blank, it does not produce a sentence with the same meaning as either of these. Thus the correct answer is impair (Choice A) and compromise (Choice F).

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 62

Re: OG_VPR # 1 Retrofitted with stabilizing devices, some of wh [#permalink] New post 04 May 2020, 15:12
Carcass wrote:
Explanation

The sentence suggests that the addition of devices to make the bridge more stable has consequently lessened its previous aesthetic impact as a “breathtaking structure.” The words “restore,” “improve,” and “enhance” do not describe the appropriate qualitative direction of the change caused by the retrofitting as “impair” and “compromise” do. Though “resist” makes some sense when inserted into the blank, it does not produce a sentence with the same meaning as either of these. Thus the correct answer is impair (Choice A) and compromise (Choice F).

Sorry for my endless questions, but compromise " as Greg Mat " means rude or something like that not ruin or weakens. I used also google translate, the meaning that something is flexible but Greg Mat mentions that this is not the GRE meaning.
May you please clarify?
Founder
Founder

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 1 Retrofitted with stabilizing devices, some of wh [#permalink] New post 04 May 2020, 15:22
Expert's post
The bridge was fixed with certain types of supports to improve its stability but that ruined the look or aesthetic of it.

here compromise is wrong because its sense would be to weaken the structure or the core of the bridge. You cannot compromise the aesthetic, you could improve or weaken it, NOT compromise.

For this reason, A is correct because the modification ALTERED the aesthetic.

Notice that mainly compromise is used in two ways: one is to weaken something = compromise the result with your behavior.

Or compromise in the sense at agreement or accord.

Regards

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 62

Re: OG_VPR # 1 Retrofitted with stabilizing devices, some of wh [#permalink] New post 04 May 2020, 15:34
Carcass wrote:
The bridge was fixed with certain types of supports to improve its stability but that ruined the look or aesthetic of it.

here compromise is wrong because its sense would be to weaken the structure or the core of the bridge. You cannot compromise the aesthetic, you could improve or weaken it NOt compromise.

For this reason, A is correct because the modification ALTRED the aesthetic.

Notice that mainly compromise is used in two ways: one is to weaken something = compromise the result with your behavior.

Or compromise in the sense at agreement or accord.

Regards

I didn't get it. I understand from your words that compromise doesn't fit here. Right?
And in the GRE it has two meanings ( depend on the Question), which are agreement or weaken something.

Are my thoughts right ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Re: OG_VPR # 1 Retrofitted with stabilizing devices, some of wh [#permalink] New post 05 May 2020, 04:13
the choice is A and F as the modification changed its aesthetics in a negative way
Founder
Founder

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 1 Retrofitted with stabilizing devices, some of wh [#permalink] New post 05 May 2020, 14:49
Expert's post
Ok . I will try to elaborate much better than I did before.

Now, impair is fine because mainly means that the changes put off balance the aesthetic of bridge. I.E it was not beautiful to see like before.

On the GREyou need two word that fit the sentence and that DO NOT change the meaning. However, usually they are synonyms but the NOT always are a mirror of each other.

If you look at synonyms of compromise you will not find impair. HOWEVER, in the context of the sentence both give you the sense to weaken what the bridge was before. Which is correct.

As a result, the only other word which fits impair is compromise.

Now is it more clear ?' :)

Re: OG_VPR # 1 Retrofitted with stabilizing devices, some of wh   [#permalink] 05 May 2020, 14:49

OG_VPR # 1 Retrofitted with stabilizing devices, some of wh

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact