It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 07:11
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 2984 [2] , given: 11204

CAT Tests
OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2016, 02:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

78% (00:24) correct 21% (00:29) wrong based on 192 sessions
If researchers can determine exactly what is wrong with people who suffer from this condition, they may be able to suggest drug therapies or other treatments that could __________ the effects of the damage.

A) mitigate

B) exacerbate

C) specify

D) identify

E) ameliorate

F) stabilize

Practice Questions
Question: 1
Page: 109
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 2984 [0], given: 11204

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2016, 02:38
Expert's post
Explanation

The sentence suggests that more information about a damaging condition will allow researchers to lessen future negative effects. While “specify” and “identify” create sentences with approximately the same meaning, the sentence also suggests that the researchers are seeking to control effects that are already known rather than needing further specificity or identification. Even in this limited context, it is unreasonable that researchers would wish to “exacerbate” or increase the negative effects of damage, and there is no other word that creates a sentence with the same meaning. “Stabilize” implies that the negative effects would simply be controlled, rather than lessened, and likewise there is no other word that produces a sentence with the same meaning. Thus the correct answer is mitigate (Choice A) and ameliorate (Choice E).

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2020, 16:44
I have a confusion: the words mitigate (make less) and ameliorate (make better) are not synonyms. That's why I chose to specify and identify. Pls help why the answers are mitigate and ameliorate.
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 52

Re: OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2020, 05:28
Velocity09 wrote:
I have a confusion: the words mitigate (make less) and ameliorate (make better) are not synonyms. That's why I chose to specify and identify. Pls help why the answers are mitigate and ameliorate.

In the real GRE, the two words don’t have to be synonyms of each other. They just have to fit in the sentence logically to convey the same meaning. This is according to the official ETS website.

Thanks and Regards,

theBrahmaTiger

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Rules for Posting

Got 20 Kudos? You can get Free GRE Prep Club Tests

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month:TOP 10 members of the month with highest kudos receive access to 3 months GRE Prep Club tests

Founder
Founder

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2020, 09:56
Expert's post
Which indeed is NOT true.

If you have time go through ALL the SE in the official guides and powerprep, you will find that the two official answer choices are indeed synonyms and AT least you do have another pair choices and in some the third pair.

In fact, one of the strategies to tackle SE is the: block of four strategy.

For two must being ALIKE in meaning to fit the blank they must be synonyms.

Re: OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2020, 10:39
Carcass wrote:
Which indeed is NOT true.

If you have time go through ALL the SE in the official guides and powerprep, you will find that the two official answer choices are indeed synonyms and AT least you do have another pair choices and in some the third pair.

In fact, one of the strategies to tackle SE is the: block of four strategy.

For two must being ALIKE in meaning to fit the blank they must be synonyms.

I vehemently disagree with @carcass on this. I can even offer some evidence to prove him wrong.

Mitigate and ameliorate are not true synonyms.

Thanks and Regards,

theBrahmaTiger

Rules for Posting

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month:TOP 10 members of the month with highest kudos receive access to 3 months GRE Prep Club tests

Founder
Founder

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2020, 11:05
Expert's post
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/ameliorate?s=t

Attachment:
shot218.jpg
shot218.jpg [ 48.46 KiB | Viewed 1773 times ]

The strongest color means they are tightened related. The more the color fade out the more are distant in the meaning

Hope this helps

Regards

Re: OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2020, 11:13
Carcass wrote:
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/ameliorate?s=t

Attachment:
shot218.jpg

The strongest color means they are tightened related. The more the color fade out the more are distant in the meaning

Hope this helps

Regards

In that sentence they both mean the same thing. Thesaurus.com can be vague sometimes, and their synonyms list is dependent on what context you use a word.

This is from the ETS website:

Do not simply look among the answer choices for two words that mean the same thing. This can be misleading for two reasons. First, the answer choices may contain pairs of words that mean the same thing but do not fit coherently into the sentence. Second, the pair of words that do constitute the correct answer may not mean exactly the same thing, since all that matters is that the resultant sentences mean the same thing.

Thanks and Regards,

theBrahmaTiger

Rules for Posting

Founder
Founder

CAT Tests
Re: OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2020, 13:17
Expert's post
"QUOTE"

Quote:
Do not simply look among the answer choices for two words that mean the same thing. This can be misleading for two reasons. First, the answer choices may contain pairs of words that mean the same thing but do not fit coherently into the sentence. Second, the pair of words that do constitute the correct answer may not mean exactly the same thing, since all that matters is that the resultant sentences mean the same thing.

Dear Sir,

from the statement above nothing fordid to find two words identical.

However, I never said that the two words are identical. I pointed out that they are alike in meaning, that always pair each other and that are synonyms which by definition is a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase.

Therefore, what I said before is 100% consistent with what ETS asserts :)

Regards

Re: OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2020, 14:01
Carcass wrote:
"QUOTE"

Quote:

Dear Sir,

from the statement above nothing fordid to find two words identical.

However, I never said that the two words are identical. I pointed out that they are alike in meaning, that always pair each other and that are synonyms which by definition is a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase.

Therefore, what I said before is 100% consistent with what ETS asserts :)

Regards

Dear Sir,

You meant “forbid” :)

Haha, I never raised any concerns on the two words that could be identical. My concern was that the two answer choices don’t have to be true synonyms of each other. I only suggested to the member what ETS recommends. You said that was not true. So, I disagreed with you being disagreed with me.

Thanks and Regards,

theBrahmaTiger

Rules for Posting

Re: OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2020, 14:01

OG_VPR # 1 If researchers can determine exactly what is wron

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact