It is currently 27 Nov 2020, 21:30
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned rep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 3036 [2] , given: 394

No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned rep [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2016, 15:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

26% (01:13) correct 73% (01:31) wrong based on 351 sessions
No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned reputation for (i)_________, and there are few whose moral vision is so imperiously unsparing. Of late, however, the almost belligerent demands of his severe and densely forbidding poetry have taken an improbable turn. This new collection is the poet’s fourth book in six years — an ample output even for poets of sunny disposition, let alone for one of such (ii)_________ over the previous 50 years. Yet for all his newfound (iii)_________, his poetry is as thorny as ever.

Blank (i)Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
A. patent accessibilityD. penitential austerityG. taciturnity
B. intrinsic frivolityE. intractable prolixityH. volubility
C. near impenetrabilityF. impetuous prodigalityI. pellucidity

Practice Questions
Question: 4
Page: 69
Difficulty: hard
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 3036 [4] , given: 394

Re: contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned reputation [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2016, 15:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Explanation

Since the author of the paragraph has described the poet’s reputation as “well-earned,” the correct completion for Blank (i) must be something that is consistent with what the rest of the passage says about the poet’s work. Only “near impenetrability” fulfills this requirement, since the next sentence tells us that the poet’s work is “severe” and “densely forbidding,” which rule out both accessibility and frivolity. The Blank (ii) completion must contrast with “ample output,” and of the available options, only “penitential austerity” does so. Finally, the word in Blank (iii), since it is preceded by “new found,” must refer to the change that has occurred in the poet’s work.
The change the paragraph has described is an increase in output, so “volubility” is the correct choice.

Thus the correct answer is near impenetrability (Choice C), penitential austerity (Choice D), and volubility (Choice H).

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned reputation [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2019, 20:38
Is the first part of first sentence and the second part of it is concerned with the same poet?
Founder
Founder
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Followers: 315

Kudos [?]: 3681 [0], given: 12936

CAT Tests
Re: contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned reputation [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2019, 12:14
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned reputation [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2019, 00:59
"This new collection is thepoet’s fourth book in six years — an ample output even for poets of sunny disposition, let alone for one of such (ii)_________ over the previous 50 years."

Does "let alone " pivot, contrast "an ample output". I am not clear if "let alone" is contrasting. Can you clarify?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 62

Re: contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned reputation [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2019, 10:51
complex...
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 3681 [1] , given: 12936

CAT Tests
Re: contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned reputation [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2019, 15:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Honestly, I have rarely seen a question like this. It is really difficult to grasp. Actually. someone could say: what is the phrase talking about ???

In the end, the question says more or less the following: his poetry (of the author) usually is dark, it is inaccessible in its unfolding. I.E what he writes is really arcane. However, lately, this approach is more soft than before. thanks to his sunny attitude. Nonetheless, even under this new configuration, his writing is STILL tough to grasp.

Ample output refers to the fourth book. Instead, “even for ...let alone for,” is a contrast to emphasize the surprising result on that fourth book. And it is not in contrast to ample out, it reinforces it.

Is more clear now ?? any other doubt ??

Regards

New to the GRE, and GRE CLUB Forum?
GRE: All you do need to know about the GRE Test | GRE Prep Club for the GRE Exam - The Complete FAQ
Search GRE Specific Questions | Download Vault
Posting Rules: QUANTITATIVE | VERBAL
FREE Resources: GRE Prep Club Official LinkTree Page | Free GRE Materials - Where to get it!! (2020)
Free GRE Prep Club Tests: Got 20 Kudos? You can get Free GRE Prep Club Tests
GRE Prep Club on : Facebook | Instagram

Questions' Banks and Collection:
ETS: ETS Free PowerPrep 1 & 2 All 320 Questions Explanation. | ETS All Official Guides
3rd Party Resource's: All Quant Questions Collection | All Verbal Questions Collection
Books: All GRE Best Books
Scores: The GRE average score at Top 25 Business Schools 2020 Ed. | How to study for GRE retake and score HIGHER - (2020)
How is the GRE Score Calculated -The Definitive Guide (2021)
Tests: GRE Prep Club Tests | FREE GRE Practice Tests [Collection] - New Edition (2021)
Vocab: GRE Prep Club Official Vocabulary Lists for the GRE (2021)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 56

Re: contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned reputation [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2020, 18:14
Carcass wrote:
Honestly, I have rarely seen a question like this. It is really difficult to grasp. Actually. someone could say: what is the phrase talking about ???

In the end, the question says more or less the following: his poetry (of the author) usually is dark, it is inaccessible in its unfolding. I.E what he writes is really arcane. However, lately, this approach is more soft than before. thanks to his sunny attitude. Nonetheless, even under this new configuration, his writing is STILL tough to grasp.

Ample output refers to the fourth book. Instead, “even for ...let alone for,” is a contrast to emphasize the surprising result on that fourth book. And it is not in contrast to ample out, it reinforces it.

Regards

Could you explain why "pellucidity" doesnt work for blank (iii) surely it should contradict his earlier works which were quite "severe and densely forbidding". Now with the "improbable turn" shouldnt his works become more clear and understandable ?
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 3681 [1] , given: 12936

CAT Tests
Re: No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned rep [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2020, 17:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is tough and I have to admit I had hard time to figure out as well. I am honest. This is an English standard at its finest. Hands down.

The last blank you said is completely out of scope and here is why

No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned reputation for (i)_________, and there are few whose moral vision is so imperiously unsparing. Of late, however, the almost belligerent demands of his severe and densely forbidding poetry have taken an improbable turn.

This portion of the sentence tells you that he, as a writer, has a "bad" reputation, in the sense of someone that is nOT easily accessible. We do know this because in the second part of the sentence, later, we do have a massive, huge demand of his work which is weird considering that his poetry was forbidden and densely. I think for instance to Emmanuel Kant. he was not a poet but a philosopher yet his work was tough to read. My head was upside down when I tried to approach during my youth.

The hint you pointed out is referring to the first blank NOT to the third.

Therefore the first blank is C

This new collection is the poet’s fourth book in six years — an ample output even for poets of sunny disposition, let alone for one of such (ii)_________ over the previous 50 years.

Now he is quite prolific. As such, this now scenario puts you out of balance because his production is stunning and more competitive even in comparison to the poet of a sunny disposition.
Notice that the last few words, in my opinion, is pure ART of writing by ETS. GMAC is not able to reach such sophistication. Basically means: he produced works surpassing even the top prolific poets out there. And this stage is even more shining considering of who we are talking about: a person who writes really in a very cryptic way.

So D is the answer because he is austere in his writing, arcane almost

Yet for all his newfound (iii)_________, his poetry is as thorny as ever.

Another twist in the entire argument: nonetheless now we assist in a fertile work he is no more soft than before. He still is pungent and obscure. Soo, his volubility that means he writes more, his loquacity nothing take out from his writing which is STILL a monolith, harsh, tough as a nail.

Hope this helps

New to the GRE, and GRE CLUB Forum?
GRE: All you do need to know about the GRE Test | GRE Prep Club for the GRE Exam - The Complete FAQ
Search GRE Specific Questions | Download Vault
Posting Rules: QUANTITATIVE | VERBAL
FREE Resources: GRE Prep Club Official LinkTree Page | Free GRE Materials - Where to get it!! (2020)
Free GRE Prep Club Tests: Got 20 Kudos? You can get Free GRE Prep Club Tests
GRE Prep Club on : Facebook | Instagram

Questions' Banks and Collection:
ETS: ETS Free PowerPrep 1 & 2 All 320 Questions Explanation. | ETS All Official Guides
3rd Party Resource's: All Quant Questions Collection | All Verbal Questions Collection
Books: All GRE Best Books
Scores: The GRE average score at Top 25 Business Schools 2020 Ed. | How to study for GRE retake and score HIGHER - (2020)
How is the GRE Score Calculated -The Definitive Guide (2021)
Tests: GRE Prep Club Tests | FREE GRE Practice Tests [Collection] - New Edition (2021)
Vocab: GRE Prep Club Official Vocabulary Lists for the GRE (2021)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 56

Re: No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned rep [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2020, 17:51
Carcass wrote:
This is tough and I have to admit I had hard time to figure out as well. I am honest. This is an English standard at its finest. Hands down.

No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned reputation for (i)_________, and there are few whose moral vision is so imperiously unsparing. Of late, however, the almost belligerent demands of his severe and densely forbidding poetry have taken an improbable turn.

This portion of the sentence tells you that he, as a writer, has a "bad" reputation, in the sense of someone that is nOT easily accessible. We do know this because in the second part of the sentence, later, we do have a massive, huge demand of his work which is weird considering that his poetry was forbidden and densely. I think for instance to Emmanuel Kant. he was not a poet but a philosopher yet his work was tough to read. My head was upside down when I tried to approach during my youth.

This new collection is the poet’s fourth book in six years — an ample output even for poets of sunny disposition, let alone for one of such (ii)_________ over the previous 50 years.

Now he is quite prolific. As such, this now scenario puts you out of balance because his production is stunning and more competitive even in comparison to the poet of a sunny disposition.
Notice that the last few words, in my opinion, is pure ART of writing by ETS. GMAC is not able to reach such sophistication. Basically means: he produced works surpassing even the top prolific poets out there. And this stage is even more shining considering of who we are talking about: a person who writes really in a very cryptic way.

Another twist in the entire argument: nonetheless now we assist in a fertile work he is no more soft than before. He still is pungent and obscure. Soo, his volubility that means he writes more, his loquacity nothing take out from his writing which is STILL a monolith, harsh, tough as a nail.

Hope this helps

Yes, helps a lot. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Now I am a fan of both the question and above analysis.
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 340 [1] , given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned rep [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2020, 05:05
This post received
KUDOS
No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned reputation for (i)_________, and there are few whose moral vision is so imperiously unsparing. Of late, however, the almost belligerent demands of his severe and densely forbidding poetry have taken an improbable turn. This new collection is the poet’s fourth book in six years — an ample output even for poets of sunny disposition, let alone for one of such (ii)_________ over the previous 50 years. Yet for all his newfound (iii)_________, his poetry is as thorny as ever.

First Blank

What kind of reputation has the poet's work earned? We find the answer in the next sentence - "of late...improbable turn". His poetry is severe and densely forbidding, and so the choice for the first blank should reflect this. Among the list of choices near impenetrability is the best choice. The last sentence states his poetry is thorny as ever. And that is another clue.

Second Blank

We are told that this new collection - the poet's fourth book in six years - is an ample output even for poets of a sunny disposition. Sunny disposition means cheerful and happy . The sentence fragment "even for poets of sunny disposition, let alone for one of..." suggests a contrast to sunny disposition, and that can only be wintry disposition or the word from the choice list is "penitential austerity". This is further supported by ""severe and densely forbidding poetry". The choice "intractable prolixity" - excessive words - does not contrast with sunny disposition or even "ample output" if you wrongly focused on it. The choice "impetuous prodigality" meaning "impulsive wastefulness" is not supported by any clues.

Third Blank

Yet, for all his newfound (iii)___________, his poetry is thorny as ever.

Since his poetry is thorny as ever, "his newfound" can only refer to his "ample output". There are only two characteristics of his works known to us. Their thorny nature and recently the quantity of output. So we go with "ample output" for the third blank and the word from the choice list is "volubility".

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests

Improve Your English Vocabulary | The English Language Blog

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 3

Re: contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned reputation [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2020, 23:27
This post received
KUDOS
luffy wrote:
Carcass wrote:

Regards

Could you explain why "pellucidity" doesnt work for blank (iii) surely it should contradict his earlier works which were quite "severe and densely forbidding". Now with the "improbable turn" shouldnt his works become more clear and understandable ?

The poet earlier was taciturn as from the second blank but now he's released so many books so the contrast is that he's become more VOLUBLE yet he remains acerbic in his tone. so volublility is the correct one. Pellucid means simple/clear which is confronting the first line, his near impenetrability and scathing POV
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned rep [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2020, 10:57
Which words with even suggests contrast? For example, even if, even though etc.

What should be the type of word with even like adverb, verb etc to suggest a contrast?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned rep [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2020, 22:20
Carcass wrote:

Hope this helps

Do we have to get all blanks correct in a sentence to get the score for a particular question? What if, out of three chosen blanks, two blanks are correct and one is wrong ??
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 3681 [0], given: 12936

CAT Tests
Re: No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned rep [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2020, 23:32
Expert's post
Re: No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned rep   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2020, 23:32

No other contemporary poet’s work has such a well-earned rep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact