It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 07:23
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

n is an integer.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 4895
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 976 [0], given: 4494

CAT Tests
n is an integer. [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2017, 02:26
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

29% (00:32) correct 70% (00:32) wrong based on 62 sessions


n is an integer.

Quantity A
Quantity B
\((-1)^{2}^{n+1}\)
\((1)^n\)



A) Quantity A is greater.
B) Quantity B is greater.
C) The two quantities are equal.
D) The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Director
Director
Joined: 03 Sep 2017
Posts: 521
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 66

Re: n is an integer. [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2017, 07:23
Whatever is n, 2n+1 is always odd. Thus, quantity A is always -1, while quantity B is always 1 because it does not matter if the exponent is even or odd.

How can it be D? What am I losing?
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 4895
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 976 [0], given: 4494

CAT Tests
Re: n is an integer. [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2017, 16:20
Expert's post
Sorry, sometimes the forum does not show properly the formatting (or maybe I am wrong).

It is NOT \(2n + 1\) but it is (if you notice very carefully) that 2 (in the first quantity) is \(2^{n+1}\)
_________________

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Joined: 03 Sep 2017
Posts: 521
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 327 [1] , given: 66

Re: n is an integer. [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2017, 07:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:
Sorry, sometimes the forum does not show properly the formatting (or maybe I am wrong).

It is NOT \(2n + 1\) but it is (if you notice very carefully) that 2 (in the first quantity) is \(2^{n+1}\)


Ok, yes the forum wasn't showing it right.

Thanks

I edit my answer then. The exponent in quantity A can be rewritten as \(2^{n+1} = 2n+2\). Thus, the exponent is always even and -1 to an even exponent becomes 1, so the answer would be C, not D. Sorry for bothering you but may you provide the OE?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Nov 2017
Posts: 27
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 30

Re: n is an integer. [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2018, 02:19
Shouldnt the answer be "B" ?
becuase A is always -1 and B is always 1
Carcass wrote:


n is an integer.

Quantity A
Quantity B
\((-1)^2^^{n+1}\)
\((1)^n\)



A) Quantity A is greater.
B) Quantity B is greater.
C) The two quantities are equal.
D) The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Nov 2017
Posts: 27
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 30

Re: n is an integer. [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2018, 11:54
Thank you now I get it
IlCreatore wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Sorry, sometimes the forum does not show properly the formatting (or maybe I am wrong).

It is NOT \(2n + 1\) but it is (if you notice very carefully) that 2 (in the first quantity) is \(2^{n+1}\)


Ok, yes the forum wasn't showing it right.

Thanks

I edit my answer then. The exponent in quantity A can be rewritten as \(2^{n+1} = 2n+2\). Thus, the exponent is always even and -1 to an even exponent becomes 1, so the answer would be C, not D. Sorry for bothering you but may you provide the OE?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 14 Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 100

Re: n is an integer. [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2018, 01:50
Carcass wrote:


n is an integer.

Quantity A
Quantity B
\((-1)^{2}^{n+1}\)
\((1)^n\)



A) Quantity A is greater.
B) Quantity B is greater.
C) The two quantities are equal.
D) The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.


Carcass, you are still writing it (D)? I agree that it's (C).
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 May 2018
Posts: 39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: n is an integer. [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2018, 18:32
Carcass wrote:


n is an integer.

Quantity A
Quantity B
\((-1)^{2}^{n+1}\)
\((1)^n\)



A) Quantity A is greater.
B) Quantity B is greater.
C) The two quantities are equal.
D) The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.

ANswer IS D
Re: n is an integer.   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2018, 18:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

n is an integer.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.