It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 12:07
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 20 May 2014
Posts: 282
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 220

CAT Tests
Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2017, 22:24
00:00

Question Stats:

10% (00:00) correct 90% (00:45) wrong based on 10 sessions
Michael drives x miles due north and arrives at Point A. He then heads due east for y miles. Finally, he drives z miles in a straight line till the starting point. If x, y, and z are integers, then how many miles did Michael drive if one of the initial two legs of the journey was 5 miles?

(A) 5 miles

(B) 12 miles

(C) 25 miles

(D) 30 miles

(E) Cannot be determined by the information given.


Kudos for correct solution.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by chetan2u on 24 Nov 2018, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
Corrected the Q
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Joined: 20 Apr 2016
Posts: 758
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 514 [1] , given: 94

CAT Tests
Re: Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2017, 23:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He then heads due east for y miles. Finally, he drives z miles a straight line towards is starting point. If x, y, and z are integers, then how many miles did Michael drive if one of the legs of the journey was 5 miles?

(A) 5 miles

(B) 12 miles

(C) 25 miles

(D) 30 miles

(E) Cannot be determined by the information given.


Kudos for correct solution.



Since it is given that it travel north first , then east and finally meets the starting point so it constitutes a right angle triangle

since x,y,z are integers and 5 is the shortest distance.

Thus we know the sides of the right angle triangle and shortest side 5 is given by 5:12:13

SO the total distance traveled by him is 5+12+13=30. Option D
_________________

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Director
Director
Joined: 03 Sep 2017
Posts: 521
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 66

Re: Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2017, 07:14
pranab01 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He then heads due east for y miles. Finally, he drives z miles a straight line towards is starting point. If x, y, and z are integers, then how many miles did Michael drive if one of the legs of the journey was 5 miles?

(A) 5 miles

(B) 12 miles

(C) 25 miles

(D) 30 miles

(E) Cannot be determined by the information given.


Kudos for correct solution.



Since it is given that it travel north first , then east and finally meets the starting point so it constitutes a right angle triangle

since x,y,z are integers and 5 is the shortest distance.

Thus we know the sides of the right angle triangle and shortest side 5 is given by 5:12:13

SO the total distance traveled by him is 5+12+13=30. Option D


How did you reach the 5:12:13 triple? Just remembered it as one of the primitive Pitagorean triple or are there any kind of computation to use?
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Joined: 20 Apr 2016
Posts: 758
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 514 [3] , given: 94

CAT Tests
Re: Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2017, 10:04
3
This post received
KUDOS
IlCreatore wrote:

How did you reach the 5:12:13 triple? Just remembered it as one of the primitive Pitagorean triple or are there any kind of computation to use?


Yes they are pythagorean triplets

here are few more -

3 : 4 : 5

5 : 12 : 13

8 : 15 : 17

1 : 1 : √2

1 : √3: 2
_________________

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Intern
Intern
Joined: 27 Oct 2018
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 27

Re: Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2018, 01:17
The question states one of the legs of the journey was 5 miles.
We haven't been told which one, the shorter one or the longer one.
Shouldn't the answer be E?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 Sep 2018
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2018, 02:04
indiragre18 wrote:
The question states one of the legs of the journey was 5 miles.
We haven't been told which one, the shorter one or the longer one.
Shouldn't the answer be E?


I agree. This wouldn't be a problem but we also have the answer option of 12, which corresponds to another P. Triple of 3-4-5. We are never told that 5 is the shortest leg of the journey or the longest. If we assume shortest, 5-12-13 works, if we assume longest, 3-4-5 works.

Now, the only possibility I can see here is that "one of the legs of the journey" in the original question directly corresponds to a triangle side that is NOT the hypotenuse, however this wouldn't really make sense as we are never outright told we have a triangle (figuring this out is part of the problem I assume), and classifying the 2 shorter sides as "legs" and the longer hypotenuse as something else also doesn't make sense from a terminology standpoint.
Supreme Moderator
Joined: 01 Nov 2017
Posts: 201
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2018, 07:15
Expert's post
projectoffset wrote:
indiragre18 wrote:
The question states one of the legs of the journey was 5 miles.
We haven't been told which one, the shorter one or the longer one.
Shouldn't the answer be E?


I agree. This wouldn't be a problem but we also have the answer option of 12, which corresponds to another P. Triple of 3-4-5. We are never told that 5 is the shortest leg of the journey or the longest. If we assume shortest, 5-12-13 works, if we assume longest, 3-4-5 works.

Now, the only possibility I can see here is that "one of the legs of the journey" in the original question directly corresponds to a triangle side that is NOT the hypotenuse, however this wouldn't really make sense as we are never outright told we have a triangle (figuring this out is part of the problem I assume), and classifying the 2 shorter sides as "legs" and the longer hypotenuse as something else also doesn't make sense from a terminology standpoint.



You are correct in your thinking and even the language is having some typo.
correcting it. Thanks
_________________

Some useful Theory.
1. Arithmetic and Geometric progressions : https://greprepclub.com/forum/progressions-arithmetic-geometric-and-harmonic-11574.html#p27048
2. Effect of Arithmetic Operations on fraction : https://greprepclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-11573.html?sid=d570445335a783891cd4d48a17db9825
3. Remainders : https://greprepclub.com/forum/remainders-what-you-should-know-11524.html
4. Number properties : https://greprepclub.com/forum/number-property-all-you-require-11518.html
5. Absolute Modulus and Inequalities : https://greprepclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-11281.html

Re: Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2018, 07:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Michael drives x miles due north at arrives at Point A. He

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.