It is currently 24 Apr 2019, 11:48
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Many know him for his great scientific achievements, but Ben

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Founder
Founder
Followers: 100

Kudos [?]: 1202 [0], given: 5749

CAT Tests
Many know him for his great scientific achievements, but Ben [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2018, 13:41
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

55% (00:35) correct 44% (00:56) wrong based on 45 sessions
Many know him for his great scientific achievements, but Benjamin Franklin always believed that public service should (i) ______ science. Accordingly, his political contributions to the formation of the United States were (ii) _____  .

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
(A) impede (D) substantial
(B) replicate (E) paltry
(C) outweigh (F) abhorrent
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Director
Director
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

Re: Many know him for his great scientific achievements, but Ben [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2019, 19:33
Any explanation please?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Many know him for his great scientific achievements, but Ben [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2019, 21:08
This post received
KUDOS
Many know him for his great scientific achievements, but Benjamin Franklin always believed that public service should (i) ______ science.
The first sentence emphasize (+) on the science. By using "but", it will show a contrast. So, on the second sentence, the science should be weaken (-) by public service. Outweigh is a perfect choice. Impede is irrelevant

Accordingly, his political contributions to the formation of the United States were (ii) _____ .
By using "accordingly", it will provide a same purpose of the previous sentence. That is, BF is good in science and also good in public service. So, the second blank should be bring a significant effect. Substantial is a perfect choice. Paltry and abhorrent both do the opposite

Hope this helps
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 1

Re: Many know him for his great scientific achievements, but Ben [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2019, 02:54
This post received
KUDOS
Question:

Many know him for his great scientific achievements, but Benjamin Franklin always believed that public service should (i) ______ science. Accordingly, his political contributions to the formation of the United States were (ii) _____ .

The "but" makes it clear that Benjamin Franklin's beliefs were different, if not the opposite, and would have made science at least secondary. Therefore, we have to consider as possible alternatives for the blank, the choices outweigh and impede. There is nothing in the sentence that suggests he would have wanted politics to impede science. If he did want such a thing, the word choices for the second blank which talk about the nature of his political contributions, would disclose it. The choices substantial, paltry and abhorrent do not in any way suggest (when we read the full second sentence) that his political contributions sought to impede science. Therefore, outweigh is the best choice. We reject replicate because of "but".

Now let us come to the second blank. Now, if Benjamin Franklin believed that public service should outweigh science, in spite of his great scientific achievements, then we can assume that his political contributions would be substantial, rather than paltry. There is nothing to suggest his political contributions would be abhorrent. So we select substantial and outweigh as the correct choices for the second and first blanks.
Re: Many know him for his great scientific achievements, but Ben   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2019, 02:54

Many know him for his great scientific achievements, but Ben

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact