It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 13:15
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Many animals such as the poison dart frog, the tiger moth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1650 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
Many animals such as the poison dart frog, the tiger moth [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2017, 19:33
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

80% (07:28) correct 20% (00:56) wrong based on 5 sessions

Many animals such as the poison dart frog, the tiger moth, and the black widow spider give predators advanced warning of their unpalatability or danger through aposematic warning signs, while other animals such as the harmless scarlet kingsnake simply mimic the bright colors of the _______ species to keep predators away.
A. pernicious
B. amicable
C. comestible
D. pulchritudinous
E. deleterious
F. esculent

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A and E
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1650 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: Many animals such as the poison dart frog, the tiger moth [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2017, 16:53
Expert's post
Explanation

The sentence tells you that animals give predators advanced warning of their danger, so you know the bright colors are warning signs. The while trigger changes the direction of the second part of the sentence, which you can see with the mention of the harmless scarlet kingsnake, but then there’s another contrast with the simply mimic phrase.

This brings you back to the animals that are unpalatable or dangerous. You can recycle dangerous for the blank.

Eliminate choice (B) right away, because if the animals are dangerous, they definitely aren’t friendly.

Choice (D) might initially look appealing, but it actually means beautiful. While the animals might be brightly- colored, you’re looking for something that means dangerous, so you can eliminate that answer. You’re left with two sets of synonyms, choices (A) and (E) and choices (C) and (F). The words in the second set, choices (C) and (F), mean edible.

If you missed one of the contrast triggers, you might be tempted to go with that pair, but because you have the two different changes of direction, you can eliminate them. That leaves (A) and (E) as the best answers.

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: Many animals such as the poison dart frog, the tiger moth   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2017, 16:53

Many animals such as the poison dart frog, the tiger moth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact