It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 01:59
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Managers who think that strong environmental performance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 1630 [1] , given: 390

CAT Tests
Managers who think that strong environmental performance [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2016, 15:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

40% (00:56) correct 59% (00:47) wrong based on 47 sessions
Managers who think that strong environmental performance will (i)_________ their company’s financial performance often (ii)_________ claims that systems designed to help them manage environmental concerns are valuable tools. By contrast, managers who perceive environmental performance to be (iii)_________ to financial success may view an environmental management system as extraneous. In either situation, and whatever their perceptions, it is a manager’s commitment to achieving environmental improvement rather than the mere presence of a system that determines environmental performance.

Blank (i)Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
A. eclipseD. uncritically acceptG. complementary
B. bolsterE. appropriately acknowledgeH. intrinsic
C. degradeF. hotly disputeI. peripheral

Practice Questions
Question: 5
Page: 69
Difficulty: hard
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 1630 [0], given: 390

CAT Tests
Re: Managers who think that strong environmental performance [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2016, 15:15
Expert's post

Explanation

The first two sentences introduce two contrasting sets of managers. The managers identified in the second sentence view systems designed to help manage environmental concerns as “extraneous,” suggesting that they would view environmental performance to be “peripheral” (Choice I) to financial performance.

The other options for Blank (iii)— “complementary” and “intrinsic” — are not consistent with the idea that environmental management systems are extraneous. With Blank (iii) filled in, we can go back to Blanks (i) and (ii) with greater confidence: “bolster” works best in Blank (i), since
the two sets of managers have contrasting views. Blank (ii) is not straightforward clearly these managers would not “hotly dispute” this claim, but “appropriately acknowledge” is less easily ruled out. “Uncritically accept” makes sense and is confirmed when we look at the final sentence in which the author warns that, in either situation, “the mere presence of a system” is not enough to achieve environmental improvement.

In fact, a system is not even necessary. Thus the author of the paragraph does not regard the systems as particularly valuable, ruling out “appropriately acknowledge.”

Thus the correct answer is bolster (Choice B), uncritically accept (Choice D), and peripheral (Choice I).

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Managers who think that strong environmental performance [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2018, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
wrong alphabetical order in options and wrong tag.
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 982 [0], given: 4518

CAT Tests
Re: Managers who think that strong environmental performance [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2018, 12:38
Expert's post
Thank you.

Fixed.

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Managers who think that strong environmental performance [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2018, 06:15
What's wrong with appropriately acknowledge? What makes uncritically accept better? I thought both could fit, with appropriately acknowledge being slightly better.
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 982 [0], given: 4518

CAT Tests
Re: Managers who think that strong environmental performance [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2018, 09:03
Expert's post
No.

The meaning of the second blank is that the managers accept upfront without a critical evaluation of all scenarios of a certain things.

E does not fit.

On the one hand, part of the managers thinks that certain environmental performance is pivotal even though they accept this without any critical reasoning. Others, considering the environmental performance as residual.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Supreme Moderator
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: Managers who think that strong environmental performance [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2018, 10:06
Expert's post
njihan wrote:
What's wrong with appropriately acknowledge? What makes uncritically accept better? I thought both could fit, with appropriately acknowledge being slightly better.

As also explained above, uncritically accept is better...

The author never propagates that systems designed to help companies manage environmental concerns are valuable tools, he is neutral in his approach.
He finds both the views as too rigid, so if we take appropriately acknowledge as correct, it means the author is agreeing to this thought process, but that is not the case.
so uncritically accept is better.

Some useful Theory.
1. Arithmetic and Geometric progressions : https://greprepclub.com/forum/progressions-arithmetic-geometric-and-harmonic-11574.html#p27048
2. Effect of Arithmetic Operations on fraction : https://greprepclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-11573.html?sid=d570445335a783891cd4d48a17db9825
3. Remainders : https://greprepclub.com/forum/remainders-what-you-should-know-11524.html
4. Number properties : https://greprepclub.com/forum/number-property-all-you-require-11518.html
5. Absolute Modulus and Inequalities : https://greprepclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-11281.html

Re: Managers who think that strong environmental performance   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2018, 10:06

Managers who think that strong environmental performance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact