It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 04:02
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

m is a three digit integer such that when it

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

m is a three digit integer such that when it [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2016, 09:05
00:00

Question Stats:

50% (01:04) correct 50% (02:10) wrong based on 2 sessions
m is a three digit integer such that when it is divided 5, the remainder is y and when it is divided by 7 ,the remainder is also y .If y is a positive integer , what is the smallest possible value of m?

This question is from Manhattan. It has solution, but i could not understand .
Any help?
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q166 V170
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [4] , given: 2

Re: m is a three digit integer such that when it [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2016, 15:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The first thing that came to mind for me was: what's ANY number that both 5 and 7 go into with the same remainder? 35 works, right? Both when divided into 35 have remainder 0. So look for the smallest 3-digit integer both 5 and 7 divide into evenly.

Sidebar: we can see that 5 and 7 must go into any multiple of 35. If numbers divide evenly into a certain x, then they also divide evenly into multiples of that x.

So we just need the smallest 3-digit multiple of 35, which is 105. But wait, we need the remainder to be a positive integer. If 5 and 7 divide into 105 evenly, then they should both divide into 106 leaving a remainder of 1, since 106 is 105 + 1.

BTW, this question has very little resemblance to any ETS GRE question I've ever seen... Much harder than a normal GRE question. Don't feel bad if it stumped you!

This question is also an illustration (at least for me) that it's easier to derive a principle from an example than to recognize the principle right away. If you see the principle right away, great, but if you don't, trial and error illuminates the principle.

Vince Kotchian GRE Prep: Personalized tutoring and a complete study plan for serious students.
https://vincekotchian.com

Manager
Manager
GRE 1: Q142 V146
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 99

Re: m is a three digit integer such that when it [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2018, 07:32
So the solution to this question can be saught after by seeking that the multiple of 5 and 7 must have a multiple of smallest 3 digit which can have a POSITIVE remainder.

Therefore 7*5 =35
35*2 =105,105 goes in both 7 and 5 and hence we need to have 105+1 =106 which lead us to have remainder 1 which is a positive number.
Re: m is a three digit integer such that when it   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2018, 07:32

m is a three digit integer such that when it

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact