It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 01:42
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Just started

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Just started [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2016, 04:59
Hey guys,

I just started my preparation for the GRE today. I took one of the practice tests from the ETS powerprep software and scored 146 on verbal and 153 on the quant section. I did not write the two AWAs, but I took the timed test. I'm aiming for 163 quant. The verbal section isn't that important because some universities i want to apply to do not consider the verbal section for admission. Therefore I want to dedicate about 2/3 of my time to quant. Furthermore, I'm considering taking the GMAT in about 1 1/2 months. During the practice test i felt that i could have solved more problems if it wasn't for the ticking time. I also didn't know a lot of words in der verbal section, which was foreseeable.
I just joined Magoosh GRE because it seems like a good deal. A friend gave me the MGMAT books, i think there are a lot of strategies for the harder problems.

I'm thankful for any tips on preparation or resources.
cheers
2 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgre Representative
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: Just started [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2016, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Ballpen,

If you're planning to take the GMAT in about 1.5 months, then you might find it distracting to study for both the GRE and the GMAT at the same time. While many of the Quant subjects and some of the Verbal concepts do 'overlap' between the two Exams, there are enough significant differences between the two Tests that you would likely find it better to stick with one Exam at a time.

1) When are you planning to apply to Grad School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,
Rich
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1655 [1] , given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: Just started [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2016, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ballpen wrote:
Hey guys,

I just started my preparation for the GRE today. I took one of the practice tests from the ETS powerprep software and scored 146 on verbal and 153 on the quant section. I did not write the two AWAs, but I took the timed test. I'm aiming for 163 quant. The verbal section isn't that important because some universities i want to apply to do not consider the verbal section for admission. Therefore I want to dedicate about 2/3 of my time to quant. Furthermore, I'm considering taking the GMAT in about 1 1/2 months. During the practice test i felt that i could have solved more problems if it wasn't for the ticking time. I also didn't know a lot of words in der verbal section, which was foreseeable.
I just joined Magoosh GRE because it seems like a good deal. A friend gave me the MGMAT books, i think there are a lot of strategies for the harder problems.

cheers

Hi ballpen,

Congratulations on starting our GRE Journey. Now a 153 to 165 in Quant is quite a lot of ground to cover. I would recommend that you go through the following post.

http://greprepclub.com/forum/gre-study-plan-2016-edition-2244.html

Specifically pay attention to step 4 and step 5.

Once you have done the SWAT analysis of Quant section you can target your areas of weakness. There are plenty of books available and tonnes of material available on this very website to accomplish the same.

As far as the verbal wordlists are concerned, here are the links to resources present in this forum, which you might find useful:

http://greprepclub.com/forum/gre-wordlists-1042.html

Also go through this extremely useful post: http://greprepclub.com/forum/how-to-become-a-gre-vocabulary-expert-124.html

Hope you have fun preparing for the GRE.

Regards,

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Just started [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2016, 07:02
Hi ballpen,
Varsity Tutors Learning Tools offers completely free online practice tests for the GRE. There is no login required, you can start any practice test immediately.
The practice tests cover the GRE Math and GRE Verbal sections, and include full explanations and solutions. Hope you find this free GRE prep resource helpful.
Simply search on Google for "Varsity Tutors GRE Practice Tests".
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Just started [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2016, 04:52
ballpen wrote:
Hey guys,

cheers

Hello!
First of all, you have to practice everyday without excuses.
Use flashcards for easy remembering.
Also there are some really good apps to help you.

And good luck! This is a long way.
Re: Just started   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2016, 04:52

Just started

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact