It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 21:23
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Jonna and Russell meet at a diner that is directly south of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 5185
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1041 [0], given: 4676

CAT Tests
Jonna and Russell meet at a diner that is directly south of [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2018, 06:08
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

44% (01:06) correct 55% (00:37) wrong based on 9 sessions
Jonna and Russell meet at a diner that is directly south of Jonna's house and directly west of Russell's house. If the diner is exactly 10 miles from Jonna's house and Russell's house is 2 miles closer to the diner than to Jonna's house, how far apart is Russell's house from the diner?


A. 8

B. 14

C. 16

D. 24

E. 26
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Director
Director
Joined: 20 Apr 2016
Posts: 758
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 514 [0], given: 94

CAT Tests
Re: Jonna and Russell meet at a diner that is directly south of [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2018, 19:35
Carcass wrote:
Jonna and Russell meet at a diner that is directly south of Jonna's house and directly west of Russell's house. If the diner is exactly 10 miles from Jonna's house and Russell's house is 2 miles closer to the diner than to Jonna's house, how far apart is Russell's house from the diner?


A. 8

B. 14

C. 16

D. 24

E. 26


Here we can draw the diagram as below from the facts given in the statement.

Let the distance between Jonna's house and Russel's house = X

SO the distance between Russel's house and diner = X - 2

By using Pythagoras theorem we have,

\(X^2 = (X - 2)^2 + 10^2\)

or \(4X = 104\)

or \(X = 26\).

Therefore the distance between Russel's house and diner = \(X - 2 = 26 - 2 = 24\)
Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 1.72 KiB | Viewed 431 times ]


_________________

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Manager
Manager
Joined: 09 Nov 2018
Posts: 75
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: Jonna and Russell meet at a diner that is directly south of [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2018, 16:14
pranab01 wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Jonna and Russell meet at a diner that is directly south of Jonna's house and directly west of Russell's house. If the diner is exactly 10 miles from Jonna's house and Russell's house is 2 miles closer to the diner than to Jonna's house, how far apart is Russell's house from the diner?


A. 8

B. 14

C. 16

D. 24

E. 26




Here we can draw the diagram as below from the facts given in the statement.

Let the distance between Jonna's house and Russel's house = X

SO the distance between Russel's house and diner = X - 2

By using Pythagoras theorem we have,

\(X^2 = (X - 2)^2 + 10^2\)

or \(4X = 104\)

or \(X = 26\).

Therefore the distance between Russel's house and diner = \(X - 2 = 26 - 2 = 24\)



"Russell's house is 2 miles closer to the diner than to Jonna's house" - Doesn't it mean 10-2=8 ? Please explain.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 4750
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1663 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: Jonna and Russell meet at a diner that is directly south of [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2018, 07:33
Expert's post
AE wrote:
"Russell's house is 2 miles closer to the diner than to Jonna's house" - Doesn't it mean 10-2=8 ? Please explain.


Here dinner is a 'place', so Russel's house is 2 miles closer to dinner than Jonna's house (also a place). So it means that if distance between Jonna's and Russels place is \(x\) then the distance between dinner and Russels place is \(x-2\).
_________________

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 15 Sep 2018
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: Jonna and Russell meet at a diner that is directly south of [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2018, 00:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
sandy wrote:
AE wrote:
"Russell's house is 2 miles closer to the diner than to Jonna's house" - Doesn't it mean 10-2=8 ? Please explain.


Here dinner is a 'place', so Russel's house is 2 miles closer to dinner than Jonna's house (also a place). So it means that if distance between Jonna's and Russels place is \(x\) then the distance between dinner and Russels place is \(x-2\).



I had the same issue as the other poster until I realized my reading was skipping TO, which I highlighted in the quote. What the poster (and I initially) read was

"Russell's house is 2 miles closer to the diner than Jonna's house"

instead of the correct

"Russell's house is 2 miles closer to the diner than to Jonna's house"
Re: Jonna and Russell meet at a diner that is directly south of   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2018, 00:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Jonna and Russell meet at a diner that is directly south of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.