It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 16:20
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Jansen’s writing strikes many as (i) : for one who is capabl

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Founder
Founder
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 1700 [0], given: 7473

CAT Tests
Jansen’s writing strikes many as (i) : for one who is capabl [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2018, 01:13
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

35% (00:53) correct 64% (00:58) wrong based on 39 sessions
Jansen’s writing strikes many as (i) ______: for one who is capable of enduring even the most recondite topics with a( n) (ii) ______ tone, his prose becomes (iii) ______ in the informal correspondences he had with his contemporaries.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
(A) pedantic (D) acerbic (G) curiously stilted
(B) forbidding (E) cautious(H) fully realized
(C) paradoxical (F) breezy(I) somewhat unguarded
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Director
Director
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 1

Re: Jansen’s writing strikes many as (i) : for one who is capabl [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2019, 16:39
Quote:
Answers: (C), (F), (G) The best way to attack this sentence is to deal with the second and third blanks first. First off, there is the "even...recondite topics", which indicates that the second blank is (F). That is, the author can make even the most obscure topics seem interesting and light. The word 'becomes' signals a shift between the second and third blank. Therefore, (G), which means awkward and unnatural, works best. Notice that once we've solved the second and third blank, we get a sentence that says that Jansen can write about the most arcane topic in a relaxed, informal way, but when he has to write informally, he is anything but relaxed. This is an example of a paradox, i.e., something that is true, but unexpected. Therefore, (C) fits in the first blank. .
Re: Jansen’s writing strikes many as (i) : for one who is capabl   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2019, 16:39

Jansen’s writing strikes many as (i) : for one who is capabl

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact