It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 09:07
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

It is quite dangerous to _________unnecessarily through

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 1025 [0], given: 4627

CAT Tests
It is quite dangerous to _________unnecessarily through [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2017, 02:31
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

38% (00:19) correct 61% (00:30) wrong based on 65 sessions

It is quite dangerous to _________ unnecessarily through the city these days, when explosions shake the buildings to their foundations without letup; it is best to conduct only essential errands, and to do so with haste.

Blank (i)
(A) bop
(B) traipse
(C) circumambulate
(D) sidle
(E) reconnoiter
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: It is quite dangerous to _________unnecessarily through [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2018, 12:58
circumambulate means to walk around
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: It is quite dangerous to _________unnecessarily through [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2018, 05:33
Carcass wrote:

It is quite dangerous to _________ unnecessarily through the city these days, when explosions shake the buildings to their foundations without letup; it is best to conduct only essential errands, and to do so with haste.

Blank (i)
(A) bop
(B) traipse
(C) circumambulate
(D) sidle
(E) reconnoiter

Explanation please.
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 1025 [0], given: 4627

CAT Tests
Re: It is quite dangerous to _________unnecessarily through [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2018, 14:42
Expert's post
The meaning is this: is not safe to roam for the cities these days for several reasons whatver they are.

B is the only that fit the meaning.

B wins

Regards

PS: ask if you do need further assistance

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: It is quite dangerous to _________unnecessarily through [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2018, 21:49
Carcass wrote:
The meaning is this: is not safe to roam for the cities these days for several reasons whatver they are.

B wins

Regards

Traipse: walk or move wearily or reluctantly whereas Cicumambulate: walk all the way round. Then to roam can better be associated with the latter.
Somehow I am not getting the meaning of traipse with the context of the sentence. Sorry, but it would be helpful if you can elucidate it further.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 2

Re: It is quite dangerous to _________unnecessarily through [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2018, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Shubhi,

With this question I found it helpful to think about the 'intent' of the words as well. The sentence gives us a clue with the last half: "it is best to conduct only essential errands, and to do so with haste." Because of this, and because of the hint "unnecessarily" in the first half, we know the word must be something that means non-hasty or non-essential walking.

The choices make this distinction difficult: all of them are associated with movement, usually walking. Because of this, we have to think about the intent of the word -- which what most closely resembles non-essential walking?

'Bop' can mean to travel energetically. This is too far from our intended blank to readily consider.
'Traipse' means to move wearily, and can also mean walking casually or needlessly. Needless is similar to non-essential -- we should come back to this one.
'Circumambulate' means to walk the circumference, or all the way around. Walking all the way around the city would certainly be needless. We can question: would one 'circumambulate' downtown for some essential errands? It doesn't quite fit, but we should remember it.
'Sidle' means to walk furtively, or secretly. Not very close to 'needlessly,' although it is used colloquially to mean 'slip over' to one building or another.
'Reconnoiter' means to travel with the purpose of making observation. Not very close.

So we're left with possible options as traipse, our most likely; circumambulate, one that fits halfway; and sidle, which only colloquially would really fit the blank. We can cross out sidle, as it's rare GRE vocab question focuses on colloquial usage. And between the last options, traipse is a better fit because it more closely matches the intent of 'needless' or unnecessary walking.

This was how I thought about the question -- I hope I didn't make things more confusing.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: It is quite dangerous to _________unnecessarily through [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2018, 03:45
bop : to travel energetically.
traipse : walk or move wearily or reluctantly.
circumambulate : walk all the way around.
sidle :walk in a furtive, unobtrusive, or timid manner, especially sideways or obliquely.
reconnoiter :make a military observation of (a region).
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [2] , given: 38

Re: It is quite dangerous to _________unnecessarily through [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2018, 04:15
This post received
KUDOS
ShubhiNigam29 wrote:
Carcass wrote:

B wins

Regards

Traipse: walk or move wearily or reluctantly whereas Cicumambulate: walk all the way round. Then to roam can better be associated with the latter.
Somehow I am not getting the meaning of traipse with the context of the sentence. Sorry, but it would be helpful if you can elucidate it further.

Don't just read the mere definitions of the words and make conclusions. If one wants to rock TC and SE section, he/she should know the accurate, contextual definitions of the words. The word, circumambulate means to walk in a circle and primarily has religious connotations. Like imagine how a religious group circumambulates the holy church or I do not know. Use google pic to see what sentences have been created through the words.

What you think, you become.

Re: It is quite dangerous to _________unnecessarily through   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2018, 04:15

It is quite dangerous to _________unnecessarily through

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact