It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 22:25
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

It is commonly believed that male brains are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

It is commonly believed that male brains are [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2018, 09:10
This post received
KUDOS
00:00

Question Stats:

12% (00:19) correct 87% (00:40) wrong based on 32 sessions
It is commonly believed that male brains are ________ for certain functions, such as verbal skills , whereas women have a larger corpus callosum, the bundle of fibers connecting the two brain hemispheres, and process the same skills on both sides of the brain.These _______ differences allegedly make women better at communicating across their own brains and to other people. Scientists have been trying _______ to disprove this unsupported idea for forty years.

Blank (i)Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
A) lateralizedD) anatomicalG) erratically
B) sterilizedE) morphologicalH) valiantly
C) optimizedF) physiologicalI) inconsiderately
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 1028 [0], given: 4634

CAT Tests
Re: It is commonly believed that male brains are [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2018, 11:30
Expert's post
Really good question.

Actually, the meaning of the question is: men use one part of the brain to process certain functions, meanwhile women use both hemispheres.

Scientists have been trying to disprove this for 40 years.

Now the first blank is that the men lateralize this process. The third blank is that scientists valiantly (in many ways) they tried to disprove this process.

What is not convince me is the second blank: it should be morphological rather than physiological because it is proper a conformation of the brain.

Ask for further assistance.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: It is commonly believed that male brains are [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2018, 19:56
Morphological speaks of the form of something, here we are talking about functioning of brains of females vs males, hence 'physiological'.
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 1028 [0], given: 4634

CAT Tests
Re: It is commonly believed that male brains are [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2018, 08:06
Expert's post
Why not anatomical ?' :roll:

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: It is commonly believed that male brains are [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2018, 09:07
The contrast is -- ...male brains are ____ for certain functions, whereas women process them on both sides. This is the difference in fundamental function of the brain of the two sexes which results from the larger callosum.

From what I understand, the anatomical difference (larger corpus callosum) is only a cause of the thing going on here(difference in functioning -which is the main point), i.e. the processing of information on both sides rather than one.

Of course, all these are unsupported ideas which scientists are trying to disprove.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: It is commonly believed that male brains are [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2018, 08:00
Anatomical means: relating to bodily structure.

Physiological means: relating to the branch of biology that deals with the normal functions of living organisms and their parts.

So the FIRST relates to how parts of the body are made. The SECOND relates to how parts of the body work and the jobs they do. It's a subtle distinction, and I don't know that such a question would appear on the GRE. But it was a great question and got me thinking!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: It is commonly believed that male brains are [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2018, 08:01
By the way, could you please give the source of the question? I'd really like to know.

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: It is commonly believed that male brains are [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2018, 20:53
This post received
KUDOS
All the questions that I posted here are from the coaching I joined. They are from their material.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NYU
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q162 V150
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 16

CAT Tests
Re: It is commonly believed that male brains are [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2018, 18:12
I'm swayed more for "morphological" for the second blank as the difference the sentence accentuates is the "size" of certain part of the brain that connects each other. Physiological process is more related to something like hormone secretion.
Re: It is commonly believed that male brains are   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2018, 18:12

It is commonly believed that male brains are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact