It is currently 18 Jan 2020, 17:37
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Issue Task- Govts. offer free university education

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 48

Issue Task- Govts. offer free university education [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2019, 07:32
Governments should offer a free university education to any student who has been admitted to a university but who cannot afford the tuition.
Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider the possible consequences of implementing the policy and explain how these consequences shape your position.

Education is the utmost important thing for the overall development of a child. University is a place where students not only learn about various subjects but also are exposed to a completely independent life where they develop as an individual. It should be every child’s right to be able to access a university education for it shapes a person mentally and intellectually. University admissions are very competitive requiring tremendous amount of hard-work and dedication. Only a tenacious, determined and competent individual makes the cut for the top universities. Unfortunately, not all students come from the same economic background and if a student gets admitted but cannot enter the university due to financial conditions of his/her parents; it is a sad affair. In such cases, governments should have a policy of providing free education to students who were competent enough to get into the university but have to back out due to extremely high tuition costs.

Past years have seen a rise in the university tuition costs. These days a four-year course can even cost millions of dollars. Many parents start saving for colleges when their kids are barely 2 or 3. In developing countries like India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan etc. there are still people who live below the poverty line. If the government ensures free tuition for the children of such parents, it would provide tremendous amount of support and encouragement to such families. Lots of children of poor parents do not study and start working as child laborers to help their parents monetarily, alleviating the burden of the costs of their university education might put an end to this. It will also motivate children to study and do well to be able to get admitted into better universities.

Implementing this kind of policy will benefit the government and economy of the country as well. Universities will attract children who are smart and competent. Once these children pass out, they might get jobs in technology companies, they might become entrepreneurs, they might even work for non-profit organizations, become lawyers, doctors; options are endless once you have a good education. They will be able to support their families monetarily and pay taxes properly. Thus, education is the best tool for overall growth and evolution of a nation.

However, facilities in a university like labs, student centers, medical centers, maintenance of classrooms, libraries etc. come at a price and if more students apply for the free tuition aid, then the overall condition of the university might deteriorate. In such a case, stricter measures should be taken to perform an overall background check for the incoming applicants to make certain only the really deserving children receive the aid. Additionally, maybe universities can also limit the number of students that they offer this free tuition to, making sure that the university does not suffer.

In conclusion, only a well-deserved student can clear the entrance examinations necessary to be admitted to good universities and if such a student cannot pursue a degree due to monetary reasons, it is a loss for both the student and the university. Hence, there needs to be a policy to ensure that students from different socio-economic backgrounds get equal opportunities as those who come from richer families.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 194

Re: Issue Task- Govts. offer free university education [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2019, 18:02
Can anybody please have a look at my writing sample? Well, I certainly understand, my writing is very bad but I am trying to learning!

Governments should offer free university education to any student who has been admitted to a university but who cannot afford the tuition. Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider the possible consequences of implementing the policy and explain how these consequences shape your position.

Education is one of the basic human needs. As much as we need food, cloth, house as necessary in our life, education bears same importance. We should try our level best to get education not only for us but also for others- who can’t afford the cost of education. But does it make any sense when we talk about govt. initiatives to freeing education who can’t afford tuition? Well, there is no straight forward answer for this question, at least from my thinking. I will present my position through subsequent writings. But in short, I can, in some cases it should be govt. responsibility but in other some cases, govt. should think before spending too much only for education.
In some cases, what happens is, we get some really talented students from very vulnerable economic position. In those cases, if they don’t get any kind of help for their education, it would be really impossible to go forward. If there could be scholarship opportunities from Govt. side that could be great! But what happens govt. in fact is in some kind of financial crisis? So definitely there could be other sources of funds like local as well as NGOs (Non Govt. Organizations). So we can see that, it’s not that mandatory for govt. funding allocation for needy persons. In our Country Bangladesh, govt. have made free tuition fees from grade 1 to grade 5 with free books facility! It’s sound crazy right? But it’s true. More interesting thing is, govt. take female education till 12 grade as fully free. I am sure, there are other countries too, where govt. is the main financier for education. But govt. hasn’t make free education in graduate/post graduate level. Because, by that time, students became more adult and have the capability to earn money by tutoring or doing other part time jobs. But still, in university level, it offer scholarship which can cover large portion of expenses. We also have other problems like health issue, infrastructure. Our economy is not that much robust. So only spending on education won’t be a good decision.

Even if it comes that govt. can bear tuition burden for many of needy students, there could arise some unethical issue . I mean to say that, when student will get to know that, they will get funded by govt. then they can hide their financial information and make it worst in hope that they would be eligible for funding. So in those cases, spending money on them would be a loos for govt. Some times it could cost education opportunity for truly needed students. I am saying this, because I have seen those kind off stuffs back in my country. That’s why, before making money allocation, there should be proper investigation on eligibility of that particular student.
So finally, we can say that, govt. should extend its helping hand for truly needy person, but in the same time should also think about other major issues going around which could also deserve potential consideration.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Issue Task- Govts. offer free university education [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2019, 22:38
Good essay. It would be productive if you use little creative and stylish writing. Also try to be little realistic about the statistic: for example, instead of saying it costs million dollar to educate a child. You can say that to educate a child it costs myriad amount of money.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Issue Task- Govts. offer free university education [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2020, 02:49
I am also interested in solving the problem. Thank you for your inquiry.
Re: Issue Task- Govts. offer free university education   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2020, 02:49

Issue Task- Govts. offer free university education

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact