It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 07:13
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 973 [0], given: 4479

CAT Tests
In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be [#permalink] New post 16 May 2017, 01:46
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

40% (01:10) correct 60% (01:30) wrong based on 50 sessions

In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be the area of the triangle ABC ?

Indicate all possible areas

❑ 0.5

❑ 1.0

❑ 1.5

❑ 2.0

❑ 2.5

❑ 3.0
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 327 [3] , given: 66

Re: In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2017, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
This kind of question has to be answered using the range of areas a triangle can have given two sides.

The smallest triangle is the one with area slightly higher than 0 when the third side is so small that the triangle is shrank towards its base.

The largest triangle is the right triangle with legs equal to the two given sides, in this case 2 and 2.

Thus, the area range is \(0<Area\leq \frac{2*2}{2}\) or \(0<area\leq 2\).

The answers are A, B, C, D!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2018, 09:24
IlCreatore wrote:
This kind of question has to be answered using the range of areas a triangle can have given two sides.

The smallest triangle is the one with area slightly higher than 0 when the third side is so small that the triangle is shrank towards its base.

The largest triangle is the right triangle with legs equal to the two given sides, in this case 2 and 2.

Thus, the area range is \(0<Area\leq \frac{2*2}{2}\) or \(0<area\leq 2\).

The answers are A, B, C, D!

Does the right triangle has the greatest area?? Can't the included angle be obtuse which would result in a larger area?

Kudos [?]: 973 [0], given: 4479

CAT Tests
Re: In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2018, 12:33
Expert's post
Here, your assumption about the angle is wrong.

We do know from the stem that the triangle is a right triangle, with two equal sides 2 and 2, which means that we do also have two angles of 45° and the other of 90° that is on the opposite of the longest side: the hypotenus

From the properties of triangles, we do know that the third side must be between the sum of the two sides: 2+2=4, the longest side must be 3.9,3.8 and so on, AND the difference of the same two side: 2-2=0, which means that the third side must be 0.1,0.2, 0.3 and so forth.

Therefore, the area of the triangle must be between 0 and 2.

Hope this helps.

REGARDS

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 33

Re: In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2018, 23:21
I am so incapable of understanding this question and also the solutions above. It is not necessarily a 45-45-90 triangle so isn't there many possibilities?

Would it be possible to give me a detailed explanation of the solution in the problem? I have this "it cannot be determined" answer in mind but obviously I am wrong.

The height or the base of the triangle can be anything, no? Would have been easier to explain what I am thinking with pictures but I guess they're not allowed.
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 973 [1] , given: 4479

CAT Tests
Re: In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2018, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
From the properties of triangles, we do know that the third side must be between the sum of the two sides: 2+2=4, the longest side must be 3.9,3.8 and so on, AND the difference of the same two side: 2-2=0, which means that the third side must be 0.1,0.2, 0.3 and so forth.

More simple than this is very difficult to figure it out how to explain :(

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 38

Re: In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2018, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:

We do know from the stem that the triangle is a right triangle, with two equal sides 2 and 2, which means that we do also have two angles of 45° and the other of 90° that is on the opposite of the longest side: the hypotenus

Hope this helps.

REGARDS

But, on what basis can you regard this triangle as a right triangle, you can surely say it as isosceles, and only after drawing a perpendicular to the base, you can say that this is a right triangle.

What you think, you become.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 104 [2] , given: 3

Re: In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2018, 05:15
This post received
KUDOS
From question it is an isosceles triangle.

For area to be highest, it has to be a right angled triangle.

1/2 * base *height

1/2 * 2 * 2 = 2 is highest possible area. Any option less than this can be answer option.

Hence all the 4 option.

Please correct if my answer is wrong.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2018, 10:46
Basic, the more uniform the shape is the higher the area will be. For a triangle with two equal sides the right triangle with 45: 45: 90 got the highest area.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2018, 11:47
Carcass wrote:

Hope this helps.

REGARDS

we know that the third side will be |2-2|<x<|2+2| i.e lie between 0-4. So my doubt arises that the area will be between 0 to 2.As the area is between 0-2 will the option D be the part of the answer ? I feel the areas will only be 0.5 1 and 1.5 the area can be 1.999 too but not 2 is what I feel. Please correct me if I'm wrong I have my gre in 4 days
Re: In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2018, 11:47

In triangle ABC,AB = AC= 2. Which of the following could be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact