It is currently 09 Jul 2020, 22:28
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 12020
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 2998 [0], given: 11253

CAT Tests
In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10. [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2015, 06:49
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

71% (00:46) correct 28% (01:18) wrong based on 91 sessions
Attachment:
#GREpracticequestion The area of quadrilateralABCD.jpg
#GREpracticequestion The area of quadrilateralABCD.jpg [ 9.19 KiB | Viewed 4016 times ]


In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10.


Quantity A
Quantity B
The area of quadrilateral ABCD
40



A)The quantity in Column A is greater.
B)The quantity in Column B is greater.
C)The two quantities are equal.
D)The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.


Practice Questions
Question: 3
Page: 151
Difficulty: medium
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Founder
Founder
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 12020
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 2998 [0], given: 11253

CAT Tests
Re: In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10. [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2015, 06:59
Expert's post
Solution

The best way to solve this question is its evaluation upfront..

More often than not people start to calculate the arcs and then make the difference between the circle area and the triangle area.

Instead if you figure out that the figure DO NOT drwan the scale and that could be in this way

Image

\(OR\)

Image

You do not have inough information to come up with a solution

So the answer is \(D\)
_________________

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos
GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests.

Director
Director
Joined: 03 Sep 2017
Posts: 518
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 418 [0], given: 66

Re: In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10. [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2017, 08:11
Actually, the source states also that the diameter of the circle is 10. I think it makes it a little bit trickier
VP
VP
Joined: 20 Apr 2016
Posts: 1279
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 1235 [0], given: 242

Re: In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10. [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2017, 11:41
IlCreatore wrote:
Actually, the source states also that the diameter of the circle is 10. I think it makes it a little bit trickier



Question corrected as per source.
_________________

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button


Rules for Posting

Got 20 Kudos? You can get Free GRE Prep Club Tests

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month:TOP 10 members of the month with highest kudos receive access to 3 months GRE Prep Club tests

2 KUDOS received
GRE Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Posts: 3532
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 3995 [2] , given: 65

CAT Tests
Re: In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10. [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2019, 10:15
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Carcass wrote:
Attachment:
#GREpracticequestion The area of quadrilateralABCD.jpg


In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10.


Quantity A
Quantity B
The area of quadrilateral ABCD
40



A)The quantity in Column A is greater.
B)The quantity in Column B is greater.
C)The two quantities are equal.
D)The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.


Practice Questions
Question: 3
Page: 151
Difficulty: medium


First of all, it's important not to read too much into the diagram.
All we can glean from the diagram is that we have a quadrilateral that is inscribed in the circle.
That's it!

So, first recognize that the inscribed quadrilateral COULD be a very very very narrow rectangle like this.
Image
Notice that this quadrilateral COULD be so thin that its area is very very close to zero.
So, for this particular quadrilateral we get:
Quantity A: a very very small area that's close to zero
Quantity B: 40
In this case, Quantity B is greater.


Alternatively, we COULD make the quadrilateral quite large.
In fact, we could make it a SQUARE.
Image

So, if the inscribed quadrilateral is a square, what is its area?
To find out, let's draw a diagonal.
Image
One of our circle properties tells us that this diagonal must be the diameter of the circle, which we know is 10
To find the area of the square, we need to know the length of each side.
So, let's let x = the length of each side.

Since ACD is a RIGHT TRIANGLE, we can apply the Pythagorean Theorem to get: x² + x² = 10²
Simplify to get 2x² = 100
Divide both sides by 2 to get: x² = 50

This means the area of the square = 50
We know this because the area of the square = (x)(x) = x², and we just learned that x² = 50

So, for this particular quadrilateral we get:
Quantity A: 50
Quantity B: 40
In this case, Quantity A is greater.

Answer: D

RELATED VIDEO

_________________

Brent Hanneson – Creator of greenlighttestprep.com
Sign up for my free GRE Question of the Day emails
Image

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2020
Posts: 210
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 116

CAT Tests
Re: In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10. [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2020, 13:22
GreenlightTestPrep wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Attachment:
#GREpracticequestion The area of quadrilateralABCD.jpg


In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10.


Quantity A
Quantity B
The area of quadrilateral ABCD
40



A)The quantity in Column A is greater.
B)The quantity in Column B is greater.
C)The two quantities are equal.
D)The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.


Practice Questions
Question: 3
Page: 151
Difficulty: medium


First of all, it's important not to read too much into the diagram.
All we can glean from the diagram is that we have a quadrilateral that is inscribed in the circle.
That's it!

So, first recognize that the inscribed quadrilateral COULD be a very very very narrow rectangle like this.
Image
Notice that this quadrilateral COULD be so thin that its area is very very close to zero.
So, for this particular quadrilateral we get:
Quantity A: a very very small area that's close to zero
Quantity B: 40
In this case, Quantity B is greater.


Alternatively, we COULD make the quadrilateral quite large.
In fact, we could make it a SQUARE.
Image

So, if the inscribed quadrilateral is a square, what is its area?
To find out, let's draw a diagonal.
Image
One of our circle properties tells us that this diagonal must be the diameter of the circle, which we know is 10
To find the area of the square, we need to know the length of each side.
So, let's let x = the length of each side.

Since ACD is a RIGHT TRIANGLE, we can apply the Pythagorean Theorem to get: x² + x² = 10²
Simplify to get 2x² = 100
Divide both sides by 2 to get: x² = 50

This means the area of the square = 50
We know this because the area of the square = (x)(x) = x², and we just learned that x² = 50

So, for this particular quadrilateral we get:
Quantity A: 50
Quantity B: 40
In this case, Quantity A is greater.

Answer: D

RELATED VIDEO


why do we need to change the shape? cant we calculate the values as per the given diagram?
_________________

Ever Tried? Ever Failed? No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better!!

2 KUDOS received
GRE Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Posts: 3532
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 3995 [2] , given: 65

CAT Tests
Re: In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10. [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2020, 13:30
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Farina wrote:
why do we need to change the shape? cant we calculate the values as per the given diagram?


What values are you referring to?
All we're told is that the diameter of the circle is 10.
Other than the fact that the quadrilateral is inscribed in the circle, there's no other information that will "lock in" the area of the quadrilateral.
As such, we need to consider various possible scenarios.

Cheers,
Brent
_________________

Brent Hanneson – Creator of greenlighttestprep.com
Sign up for my free GRE Question of the Day emails
Image

Re: In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10.   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2020, 13:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the figure above, the diameter of the circle is 10.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.