It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 22:02
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

In the figure below, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed i

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

In the figure below, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed i [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2017, 09:44
00:00

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hi everyone, I'm having struggle to find out how to do this question...
1. Equilateral Triangle inscribed in circle (as the attachment of question.jpg, question 9)
2. According mathopenref.c0m/trianglecentroid.html (please exchange 0 to o to access the urI), one of the Centroid facts mentioned this
"The centroid is exactly two-thirds the way along each median. Put another way, the centroid divides each median into two segments whose lengths are in the ratio 2:1, with the longest one nearest the vertex. These lengths are shown on the one of the medians in the figure at the top of the page so you can verify this property for yourself."

Since centroid divides each median into two segments with 2:1 ratio.
if A to O is 4 (as the attachment of math.jpg), O to X will be 2?? Am I getting the right understanding??

In the figure below, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed in the circle O, whose radius is 4. Altitude BD is extended until it intersects the circle at E. What is the length of DE ?

A) 1

B) \(\sqrt{3}\)

C) 2

D) \(2\sqrt{3}\)

E) \(4\sqrt{3}\)

As for question 9 since radius is 4, therefore BO = 4.
With 2:1 ratio, OD will be 2. (If I get the correct understanding from the facts)
OE - OD = DE
therefore 4 - 2 = DE
Answer is C
Am I right??
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 1022 [0], given: 4624

CAT Tests
Re: In the figure below, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed i [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2017, 10:50
Expert's post
Hi,

please format the question properly. Screencast of a question instead of the text are avoidable. Moreover, follow the rules for posting on the board and chose the right sub-forum to post the questions.

Thank you a lot for your collaboration. ASAP our expert sandy will reply to your question.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1650 [1] , given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: In the figure below, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed i [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2017, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi darkdevil8z,

Yes you are quite correct.

If you dont know this property you might even solve it with trigonometry.

Join Ao; and AO=BO=OE= 4 and triangle AOD is a right triangle with AO bisecting the angle CAB of triangle ABC.

So OD = \(AO \times sine(\frac{60}{2})\) = \(AO \times sine(30)\) =\(AO\times\frac{1}{2}\) =2

DE = OE-OD = 4 -2=2.

Regards,

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Re: In the figure below, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed i [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2017, 04:30
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:
Hi,

please format the question properly. Screencast of a question instead of the text are avoidable. Moreover, follow the rules for posting on the board and chose the right sub-forum to post the questions.

Thank you a lot for your collaboration. ASAP our expert sandy will reply to your question.

Regards

Hi Carcass, sorry for didn't post properly, as a new user (less than 5 posts), I'm not able to post the urI... (because it restrict new user to post a urI, if he/she less than 5 posts) as for the sub-forum, sorry for that, I didn't know the sub-forum exist.

As for Sandy, thanks for reply. =)
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 1022 [0], given: 4624

CAT Tests
Re: In the figure below, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed i [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2017, 05:24
Expert's post
darkdevil8z wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Hi,

Regards

Hi Carcass, sorry for didn't post properly, as a new user (less than 5 posts), I'm not able to post the urI... (because it restrict new user to post a urI, if he/she less than 5 posts) as for the sub-forum, sorry for that, I didn't know the sub-forum exist.

As for Sandy, thanks for reply. =)

No sorry Sir. Just point out :)

A board clean is a board efficient

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Re: In the figure below, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed i [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2017, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
After this message, I think I no longer have urI restrict problem, and ill post the sub-forum as you mentioned, thanks for point out. =)
Re: In the figure below, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed i   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2017, 06:09

In the figure below, equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed i

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact