It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 13:17
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

In early-twentieth-century England, it was fashionable to cl

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1031 [0], given: 4643

CAT Tests
In early-twentieth-century England, it was fashionable to cl [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2018, 16:30
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (03:14) wrong based on 4 sessions
In early-twentieth-century England, it was fashionable to claim that only a completely new style of writing could address a world undergoing unprecedented transformation-just as one literary critic recently claimed that only the new " aesthetic of exploratory excess " can address a world undergoing.. well, you know. Yet in early-twentieth-century England, T.S.Eliot, a man fascinated by the " presence " of the past, wrote the most innovative poetry of his time. The lesson for today's literary community seems obvious: a reorientation toward tradition would benefit writers no less than readers. But if our writers and critics indeed respect the novel's rich tradition(as they claim to), then why do they disdain the urge to tell an exciting story?
In the context of the passage as a whole, " address " is closest in meaning to

A. reveal
B. belie
C. speak to
D. direct attention toward
E. attempt to remediate

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C

The author of the passage suggests that present-day readers would particularly benefit from which of the following changes on the part of present-day writers and critics?

A. An increased focus on the importance of engaging the audience in a narrative.
B. Modernization of the traditional novelistic elements already familiar to readers.
C. Embracing aspects of fiction that are generally peripheral to the interest of readers.
D. A greater recognition of how the tradition of the novel has changed over time.
E. A better understanding of how certain poets such as Eliot have influenced fiction of the present time.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

CAT Tests
Re: In early-twentieth-century England, it was fashionable to cl [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2018, 17:06
Expert's post
Explanation

1)

Address an argument means to speak or explain it or tackle in its reasoning. C is the best. The other answer choices are out of scope, mainly.

2)

The best and proper way to tackle this first question of the passage is probably the POE, process of elimination. Keep in mind always that all the information you need to nail the right answer is in the passage, buried or explicitly stated. A tells us that
Quote:
An increased focus on the importance of engaging the audience in a narrative
on the other hand the passage mention
Quote:
a reorientation toward tradition would benefit writers no less than readers.
Keep it for now.
The second answer talks about modernization but I do not see anything like that wrote in the passage itself.
The third talks about fiction arguments that are peripheral, but nothing about in the periphery is mentioned in the passage.
The fourth we see "changing over time". Nothing about that
The last one talks about Eliot have influenced...but the passage tells us about how he is fascinated not influenced.
A is the best answer.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: In early-twentieth-century England, it was fashionable to cl [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2018, 20:50
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Carcass:Keep it for now.
The second answer talks about modernization but I do not see anything like that wrote in the passage itself.
The third talks about fiction arguments that are peripheral, but nothing about in the periphery is mentioned in the passage.
The fourth we see "changing over time". Nothing about that
The last one talks about Eliot have influenced...but the passage tells us about how him is fascinated not influenced.
A is the best answer.

While i do agree with your reasoning , i still dont get why D is not solution . You said changing over time is not in passage but the option A talks about narrative which is also absent in passage. I mean nothing in the passage talks about focus on narrative.

CAT Tests
Re: In early-twentieth-century England, it was fashionable to cl [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2018, 02:43
Expert's post
A re-orientation is a re-focus on the lesson provided by the tradition.

Hope this helps

regards

Re: In early-twentieth-century England, it was fashionable to cl   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2018, 02:43

In early-twentieth-century England, it was fashionable to cl

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact