It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 05:36
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

In a probability experiment, G and H are independent events

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1653 [3] , given: 396

CAT Tests
In a probability experiment, G and H are independent events [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2016, 15:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

33% (00:27) correct 66% (00:41) wrong based on 63 sessions
In a probability experiment, G and H are independent events. The probability that G will occur is r, and the probability that H will occur is s, where both r and s are greater than 0.

Quantity A
Quantity B
The probability that either G will occur or H will occur, but not both
r + s - rs

A)The quantity in Column A is greater.
B)The quantity in Column B is greater.
C)The two quantities are equal.
D)The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.

Practice Questions
Question: 5
Page: 119
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 1653 [3] , given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: In a probability experiment, G and H are independent events [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2016, 15:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explanation

By the rules of probability, you can conclude that the probability that event H will not occur is \(1 - s\). Also, the fact that G and H are independent events implies that G and “not H” are independent events. Therefore the probability that G will occur and H will not occur is \(r(1 - s)\).

Similarly, the probability that H will occur and G will not occur is \(s(1 - r)\). So Quantity A, the probability that either G will occur or H will occur, but not both, is \(r(1 - s) + s(1 - r) = r + s - 2r s\), which is less than Quantity B, \(r + s - r s\). Thus the correct answer is Choice B.

Sandy

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 15

Re: In a probability experiment, G and H are independent events [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2016, 20:09
This post received
KUDOS
A:
P(G union H) - P (G intersection H) = P(G) + P(H) - P (G intersection H) - P (G intersection H) = r + s -rs -rs = r + s -2rs

B:
r + s -rs

Clearly B is greater, hence the answer.
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [6] , given: 0

Re: In a probability experiment, G and H are independent events [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2017, 13:47
This post received
KUDOS
I struggled a bit with understanding the mathematics in this question, but I think I found a more intuitive way to explain the solution.

Attachment:
Probability.png
Probability.png [ 4.17 KiB | Viewed 7242 times ]

Let the RED area equal r, or P(G), and let the BLUE area equal s, or P(H).

The PURPLE area, therefore, indicates the probability that G and H both occur, or P(G intersection H).

Since we're trying to find "The probability that either G will occur or H will occur, but not both," then we are trying to find the RED area and the BLUE area, but NOT the PURPLE area. To write this in probability terms, we would write P(G union H) - P (G intersection H) = P(G) - P (G intersection H) + P(H) - P (G intersection H)

The RED area is P(G)-P(G intersection H), or r-rs. The BLUE area is P(H)-P(G intersection H), or s-sr. You then simply add those too formulas together, resulting in r - rs + s - rs, which simplifies to r + s - 2rs.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: In a probability experiment, G and H are independent events [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2017, 08:31
This post received
KUDOS
For the official guide answer to be correct you have to assume G & H are not mutually exclusive events (events that can't both happen at the same time. If they were then R*S would equal 0 and A and B would be equal.

You have to be able to infer that since the probability of G happening doesn't effect the probability of H happening AND that r and s are greater than zero that G & H must not be mutually exclusive.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

Re: In a probability experiment, G and H are independent events [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2018, 21:19
This post received
KUDOS
May I know why the formula P(G or H)= P(G)+P(H)-P(G&H) does not apply here. Thanks for the clarification.
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 1653 [2] , given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: In a probability experiment, G and H are independent events [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2018, 01:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Runnyboy44 wrote:
May I know why the formula P(G or H)= P(G)+P(H)-P(G&H) does not apply here. Thanks for the clarification.

It is valid:

Probability that either event occurs = \(P(G)+P(H)-P(G&H)\)

Probability that either event occurs but not both = \(P(G)+P(H)-P(G&H)-P(G&H)= r+s-2rs\). This is quantity A

Sandy

Re: In a probability experiment, G and H are independent events   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2018, 01:58

In a probability experiment, G and H are independent events

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact