It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 23:47
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

If the kitchen is square, what is the ratio of the area of t

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 781 [0], given: 3745

CAT Tests
If the kitchen is square, what is the ratio of the area of t [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2018, 09:36
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

80% (01:57) correct 20% (03:01) wrong based on 5 sessions
Attachment:
plan.jpg
plan.jpg [ 44.16 KiB | Viewed 157 times ]

The figure above shows the plan for the ground floor of a house. The thickness of the walls should be ignored in answering the questions. The dimensions are in feet, and each region is rectangular.

If the kitchen is square, what is the ratio of the area of the kitchen to the area of the dining room?

A. \(\frac{16}{37}\)

B. \(\frac{3}{7}\)

C. \(\frac{4}{7}\)

D. \(\frac{8}{11}\)

E. \(\frac{16}{21}\)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 1

Re: If the kitchen is square, what is the ratio of the area of t [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2018, 22:29
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass..can you give clear solution for this with neat diagram if possible.
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 781 [1] , given: 3745

CAT Tests
Re: If the kitchen is square, what is the ratio of the area of t [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2018, 01:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Dear msk0657,

first of all the graph is clear, I do not know why you say it is neat. Of course, it is not in high resolution or 4k but consider it comes from the old paper OG 10th edition. We can not do more. However, I do think the following:

• the figure is clear enough to permit you to answer the question;
  • it is an amazing querstion to stretch your mental muscles;
  • this is the proper case in which you in difficult condition (if we wanna to put it this way), you are still able to find a solution. This is indeed what this test is all about: find a solution no matter what.

Back to the question: notice that I do not have a solution to this question, I have only the OA. As such, I came to the solution just like you, via reasoning.

Now, notice that the stem says the figure drawn the scale and this is in your favour: you do not have to be suspicious, just enough.
Moreover, the stem also adds that the rooms are rectangular but in this case to consider the kitchen as a square.

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 26.23 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]

One side of the kitchen itself is 8. so, if it is a square the area is \(s^2 = 64\)

Now think about the denominator of the ratio. See this figure

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 29.45 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]

If you see, point one = 14

point two = 4,5

These two points added make the entire side of the house: \(14 + 4,5 = 18,5\).

Now, this side is also the entire upper side of the house. Notice also that we said one side of the square is 8, which means all the side length 18,5 minus 8 = \(10,5\)

This is the upper side of the dining room. The other side is also 8, because the dining room and the kitchen room share the same wall-side, which is \(8\).

The area of the rectangular dining room is \(b * h = 10,5 * 8 = 84\)

Our ratio kitchen room / dining room = \(\frac{64}{84} = \frac{32}{42} = \frac{16}{21}\)

The answer is E

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 1

Re: If the kitchen is square, what is the ratio of the area of t [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2018, 02:09
This post received
KUDOS
What I meant was to explain with such screenshots in your solution and you banged it...Carcass... :)
Re: If the kitchen is square, what is the ratio of the area of t   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2018, 02:09

If the kitchen is square, what is the ratio of the area of t

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact