It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 07:35
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

If m and n are the roots of the equation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

If m and n are the roots of the equation [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2018, 00:39
00:00

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
HI guys!

Question:

If m and n are the roots of the equation \(a^2 - 6a + 8 = 0\), then find the value of \((m+n)(m-n)\)

A. 12

B. 8

C. 16

D. 4

E.18

Now, the answer should be 12, because the fractioning of the equation gets me (a-4) (a-2). However, what if I switched places here and put (a-2) (a-4). Then, m = 2 and n=4, thus (2+4) (2-4) = -12. Where am I going wrong? Sorry for this stupid question. And btw, roots of the equation are always positive then, right?

Appreciate any help.

Last edited by Carcass on 18 Aug 2018, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
Edited by Carcass
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1029 [0], given: 4636

CAT Tests
Re: If m and n are the roots of the equation [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2018, 02:13
Expert's post
Hi,

before to post a question on the board, please, follow the rule fr posting here https://greprepclub.com/forum/rules-for ... -1083.html and how to format a question here https://greprepclub.com/forum/qq-how-to ... -2357.html

Moreover, post the question under the right section and not in general quant section.

Back to the question.

You are right m=2 n=4 in which case the answer is -12

But could be the other way around also: m=4 an n=2 which is 12

No a good question.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: If m and n are the roots of the equation [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2018, 04:46
This post received
KUDOS
Appreciate the comments, Carcass. Sorry for being careless, and thank you for the clarification on the question.

However, I think you made a mistake there. If m=4 and n=2, then (m+n)(m−n) = (4+2) (4-2) = 12. I doesn't make a whole lot of difference though, because I guess we just established that this is not a well-thought-out question.

Thanks!
Re: If m and n are the roots of the equation   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2018, 04:46

If m and n are the roots of the equation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact