It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 02:35
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Hursthouse, (i) _________ virtue ethicists in general, argue

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 1612 [1] , given: 375

CAT Tests
Hursthouse, (i) _________ virtue ethicists in general, argue [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2017, 16:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

16% (00:53) correct 83% (00:40) wrong based on 6 sessions

Hursthouse, (i) _________ virtue ethicists in general, argues that ethics is properly neither situational nor utilitarian and that one ought to seek out virtue and emulate it rather than base one’s judgments on subjective
concerns or a (ii) _________ weighing of pain and pleasure likely to result from a given action; critics, of course, tend to (iii) _________ that Hursthouse and other virtue ethicists who seek to define virtue merely seek to enshrine their own prejudices under the guise of theory.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
(A) enigmatic to (D) pragmatic (G) posit
(B) breaking away from (E) quixotic(H) deny
(C) emblematic of (F) grandiloquent(I) cajole

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Emblematic of, pragmatic, posit

Practice Questions
Question: 16
Page: 51
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 1612 [1] , given: 375

CAT Tests
Re: Hursthouse, (i) _________ virtue ethicists in general, argue [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2017, 17:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explantion

You learn at the end of the sentence that Hursthouse puts forth the same views as many other virtue ethicists. So in the first blank, you want something like representative of. The only match is emblematic of. You then learn that Hursthouse thinks ethics is “neither situational nor utilitarian” — the next part of the sentence will have a first part that matches up with situational, and a second part that matches up with utilitarian, (GRE sentences often use a pattern of mentioning two things, and then giving more information about those two things in the same order.)

Base one’s judgments on subjective concerns refers back to a situational approach to ethics, and a __________ weighing of pain and pleasure refers back to a utilitarian (or practical) approach. Thus, pragmatic, which means “practical,” matches. Finally, critics would definitely agree with the idea that virtue ethicists “seek to enshrine their own prejudices,” so in the third blank, you just need a word like say or claim. Posit is the only match.

Emblematic of, pragmatic, posit.

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: Hursthouse, (i) _________ virtue ethicists in general, argue   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2017, 17:47

Hursthouse, (i) _________ virtue ethicists in general, argue

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact