It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 14:58
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 977 [1] , given: 4499

CAT Tests
Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2017, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

27% (00:47) correct 72% (00:50) wrong based on 48 sessions
Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths that sounded (i) __________come to seem profound: knowledge of the past comes entirely from written documents, giving written words great (ii) ___________, and the more material you uncover, the more (iii) ___________ your subject becomes.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
(A) deep (D) consequence (G) elusive
(B) portentous (E) antiquity(H) contemporary
(C) banal (F) simultaneity(I) circumstantial
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 977 [1] , given: 4499

CAT Tests
Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2017, 16:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Explanation

What historical say may sound banal but at the same time is profound. The words of the past have important and deep consequence but at the same time are blurry in their meaning, which means elusive.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q164 V150
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 2

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2018, 02:42
This post received
KUDOS
giving written words great (ii) ___________, and the more material you uncover, the more (iii) ___________ your subject becomes.

In this part of the sentence, the two clauses 'giving written words great ________ ' and 'and the more material you uncover, the more _________ your subject becomes ' are joined by 'and' conjunction not 'but'. That's why I think circumstantial should be a better fit in the last blank instead of 'elusive'.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2018, 10:13
I too believe that 3rd blank should be circumstantial. @carcass - can you please recheck the answers?

Kudos [?]: 977 [0], given: 4499

CAT Tests
Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2018, 12:56
Expert's post
The answer choices are correct, guys.

Could you tell me why in your opinion the answer to the third blank is I and not G?

Please explain.

Regards

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 0

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2018, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
The two sentences after ":" separated by comma "," should represent opposites as referred by the word 'antithetical truths'. Hence, even though those two sentences are joined by 'and' in order to give the opposite meaning elusive is best option rather than circumstantial.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2018, 16:18
Agreed - Thank you :)
Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2018, 16:18

Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact