It is currently 01 Dec 2020, 00:44
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Followers: 315

Kudos [?]: 3687 [2] , given: 12946

CAT Tests
Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2017, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

22% (01:11) correct 77% (00:56) wrong based on 275 sessions

Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths that sounded (i) __________come to seem profound: knowledge of the past comes entirely from written documents, giving written words great (ii) ___________, and the more material you uncover, the more (iii) ___________ your subject becomes.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
(A) deep (D) consequence (G) elusive
(B) portentous (E) antiquity(H) contemporary
(C) banal (F) simultaneity(I) circumstantial
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the GRE, and GRE CLUB Forum?
GRE: All you do need to know about the GRE Test | GRE Prep Club for the GRE Exam - The Complete FAQ
Search GRE Specific Questions | Download Vault
Posting Rules: QUANTITATIVE | VERBAL
FREE Resources: GRE Prep Club Official LinkTree Page | Free GRE Materials - Where to get it!! (2020)
Free GRE Prep Club Tests: Got 20 Kudos? You can get Free GRE Prep Club Tests
GRE Prep Club on : Facebook | Instagram

Questions' Banks and Collection:
ETS: ETS Free PowerPrep 1 & 2 All 320 Questions Explanation. | ETS All Official Guides
3rd Party Resource's: All Quant Questions Collection | All Verbal Questions Collection
Books: All GRE Best Books
Scores: The GRE average score at Top 25 Business Schools 2020 Ed. | How to study for GRE retake and score HIGHER - (2020)
How is the GRE Score Calculated -The Definitive Guide (2021)
Tests: GRE Prep Club Tests | FREE GRE Practice Tests [Collection] - New Edition (2021)
Vocab: GRE Prep Club Official Vocabulary Lists for the GRE (2021)

1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 3687 [1] , given: 12946

CAT Tests
Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2017, 16:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q163 V149

GRE 2: Q168 V162
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2018, 02:42
This post received
KUDOS
giving written words great (ii) ___________, and the more material you uncover, the more (iii) ___________ your subject becomes.

In this part of the sentence, the two clauses 'giving written words great ________ ' and 'and the more material you uncover, the more _________ your subject becomes ' are joined by 'and' conjunction not 'but'. That's why I think circumstantial should be a better fit in the last blank instead of 'elusive'.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2018, 10:13
I too believe that 3rd blank should be circumstantial. @carcass - can you please recheck the answers?
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 3687 [1] , given: 12946

CAT Tests
Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2018, 12:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [4] , given: 0

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2018, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
The two sentences after ":" separated by comma "," should represent opposites as referred by the word 'antithetical truths'. Hence, even though those two sentences are joined by 'and' in order to give the opposite meaning elusive is best option rather than circumstantial.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2018, 16:18
Agreed - Thank you :)
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q166 V157

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 10

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2019, 23:41
This post received
KUDOS
Let me introduce you one freaking complexity that can help you remember it for ever:
- "consequential" beside meaning sequential means "important". (That's OK, you probably knew it from Magoosh words).
- However, "consequent" beside meaning sequential does not mean "important". (I confronted with this trap in a Manhattan prep test)
- While I was so proud that I would not mistake "-tial" form from the other one, I omitted "consequence" as a noun form of consequent, because I deduced that it would not mean importance. Guess what? When I saw the answers, I was like "WHAT THE..." so "consequence" does mean "IMPORTANCE".

+ Hope you do not make my mistake in the future :lol:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2019, 09:28
can't mark 3 options in this question, please fix.
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 3687 [0], given: 12946

CAT Tests
Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2019, 10:12
Expert's post
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 7

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2019, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
At first, I have no idea what this sentence wants to talk about.
After I have read explanation from carcass, I can see why the answers must be C,E, and G. Other options do not fit the context of the sentence.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2020, 20:39
Why banal is correct in option i?
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 376 [0], given: 52

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2020, 06:26
BelalHossain wrote:
Why banal is correct in option i?

Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths that sounded (i) __________come to seem profound.

Historical research about two opposite truths that sounded "something", but now seem to be very thoughtful. So what would be the best option? banal means trite, so that means truths that had sounded overly used but turned out be very thoughtful.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Thanks and Regards,

theBrahmaTiger

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Rules for Posting

Got 20 Kudos? You can get Free GRE Prep Club Tests

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month:TOP 10 members of the month with highest kudos receive access to 3 months GRE Prep Club tests

1 KUDOS received
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 340 [1] , given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2020, 03:37
This post received
KUDOS
Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths that sounded (i) __________come to seem profound: knowledge of the past comes entirely from written documents, giving written words great (ii) ___________, and the more material you uncover, the more (iii) ___________ your subject becomes.

the phrase "come to seem profound" suggests that they were not profound. Therefore banal is the correct choice for the first blank.

Then comes the enumeration of the two antithetical truths that sounded banal. Antithetical means opposed to each other.

First Truth - knowledge of the past comes entirely from written documents, giving written words great (ii) importance. So the word from the choice list is consequence.

Second Truth - the more material you uncover, the more (iii) difficult to grasp your subject becomes. Why? because this truth is antithetical to the previous one and should therefore give opposite meaning. If the first truth states knowledge comes entirely from the written word, the second truth should say that there is nothing or little knowledge in written word - more material you uncover, the more elusive your subject becomes.

The answer choices are C, D and G - banal, consequence and elusive.

Need Practice? 20 Free GRE Quant Tests available for free with 20 Kudos

GRE Prep Club Members of the Month: Each member of the month will get three months free access of GRE Prep Club tests

Improve Your English Vocabulary | The English Language Blog

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 43

Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2020, 06:57
saeed12abd wrote:
Let me introduce you one freaking complexity that can help you remember it for ever:
- "consequential" beside meaning sequential means "important". (That's OK, you probably knew it from Magoosh words).
- However, "consequent" beside meaning sequential does not mean "important". (I confronted with this trap in a Manhattan prep test)
- While I was so proud that I would not mistake "-tial" form from the other one, I omitted "consequence" as a noun form of consequent, because I deduced that it would not mean importance. Guess what? When I saw the answers, I was like "WHAT THE..." so "consequence" does mean "IMPORTANCE".

+ Hope you do not make my mistake in the future :lol:

Cringy
Re: Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2020, 06:57

Historical research makes two somewhat antithetical truths t

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact