It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 04:59
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

GRE Sentence Equivalence — The Perfect Word Trap

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
GRE 1: 326 Q165 V161
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 64

GRE Sentence Equivalence — The Perfect Word Trap [#permalink] New post 31 May 2014, 02:12
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The rule with Sentence Equivalence is that the two answers must be synonyms, i.e. very similar words.
With this in mind try the question below.
As we age, our political leanings tend to become less ________; the once dyed-in-wool conservative can betray liberal leanings, and the staunch progressive may suddenly embrace conservative policies.
(A) demanding
(B) extreme
(C) pronounced
(D) biased
(E) conspicuous
(F) obtuse

How to Solve It!

So the perfect word in this case is extreme. It even goes together with the word political. But does that mean extreme is one of the answers? Only if there is another word that is a synonym with extreme. Alas, there is none.
Or maybe you thought that biased was an even better answer. Again, the word seems to fit the political context. But are biased and extreme synonyms? They are not. Does biased have a synonym amongst the remaining answer choices? Again, no.
So, even though extreme and biased both worked independently neither of them is the answer (and now you see why many are afraid to take the new GRE).
One option, then, is to basically ignore the sentence and find a pair of synonyms. This method was one I espoused earlier, with one condition: that you have a strong vocabulary. So let’s say you do. In this sentence there is only one pair of synonyms: conspicuous and pronounced. Both are synonyms for marked/obvious. When you plug that back into the sentence, it makes sense–as we age our political tendencies become less obvious.
Notice, too, how the sentence talks about how as people age their political leanings take on aspects of the opposing sides. If you pick up on this, you can also arrive at the answer, without necessarily having a strong vocabulary.
Takeaway
All in all, this was a toughie. But remember, tread lightly on Sentence Equivalence. Don’t just dive into the answer choices and grab onto the word that sounds the best. Sometimes, what appears perfect can be a trap.

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

GRE Sentence Equivalence — The Perfect Word Trap   [#permalink] 31 May 2014, 02:12

GRE Sentence Equivalence — The Perfect Word Trap

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms of Use| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact