It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 06:01
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

GRE Score 150V and 154Q. How to study for retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GRE Score 150V and 154Q. How to study for retake? [#permalink] New post 27 May 2018, 18:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hello!

I took my GRE this weekend and received scores of 150V and 154Q (AWA pending). These scores are okay but not great (they meet the minimum for 2 of 4 schools I'm applying to). At this point, I know I need to take the test a second time to reach my goal score of 156V and 158Q. I am asking for suggestions of how to study better this time around. I did a lot through an ETS book and the Ready 4 GRE app, and I also took free practice tests through power prep, Kaplan, and Manhattan prep. I felt that in some sections (especially with quant) I ran out of time and couldn't solve the questions I had marked and planned to go back to. So I guess I'm looking for strategies to manage my time better and for shortcuts that can help me solve questions faster. I also feel I need to improve on vocab. Any good resources besides flashcards?

Also, I'm considering getting a GRE prep course for some extra help but don't want to pay an arm and a leg. Prep scholar and magoosh seem fairly reasonable as far as price goes, but do they actually help? Any testimonials or other suggestions?

Thank you!!
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1656 [1] , given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: GRE Score 150V and 154Q. How to study for retake? [#permalink] New post 29 May 2018, 14:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
cam539 wrote:
Hello!

I took my GRE this weekend and received scores of 150V and 154Q (AWA pending). These scores are okay but not great (they meet the minimum for 2 of 4 schools I'm applying to). At this point, I know I need to take the test a second time to reach my goal score of 156V and 158Q. I am asking for suggestions of how to study better this time around. I did a lot through an ETS book and the Ready 4 GRE app, and I also took free practice tests through power prep, Kaplan, and Manhattan prep. I felt that in some sections (especially with quant) I ran out of time and couldn't solve the questions I had marked and planned to go back to. So I guess I'm looking for strategies to manage my time better and for shortcuts that can help me solve questions faster. I also feel I need to improve on vocab. Any good resources besides flashcards?

Also, I'm considering getting a GRE prep course for some extra help but don't want to pay an arm and a leg. Prep scholar and magoosh seem fairly reasonable as far as price goes, but do they actually help? Any testimonials or other suggestions?

Thank you!!

Hi,

There are a few things to consider.

1. How much time do you have? Ideally 2 to 3 months is needed at least for a through prep.

2. What your current level? This is already answererd as you have taken the GRE once and have a rough idea in what range your scores currently lie.

3. What is your weak areas? You have identified Vocabs and Quants (time management). While both these problems are typically ameliorated with enough practice.

For the above 3 points this post might be a good place for you to start: https://greprepclub.com/forum/gre-study ... -8885.html

For reiew of course you could find them here:

https://greprepclub.com/reviews/

You can also find details about dicount codes and other offers here:

https://greprepclub.com/forum/gre-cours ... -3155.html

Hope this helps,

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: GRE Score 150V and 154Q. How to study for retake? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2018, 23:40
Hello,

When you took the test, what type of scratch paper did you get, grid or plain paper?
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1030 [0], given: 4640

CAT Tests
Re: GRE Score 150V and 154Q. How to study for retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2018, 02:09
Expert's post
Honestly, no information about that is provided neither by ETS nor from other sources.

Here https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/test_day/
Here https://magoosh.com/gre/2016/scratch-paper-on-gre/

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: GRE Score 150V and 154Q. How to study for retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2018, 14:31
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone who took the test could shed some light about the scratch paper. If the scratch paper has line, then it would be easier to make a verbal grid and do quant problems, especially geometry problems. If the scratch paper is just a plain white paper, it would be tougher to make the verbal grid and do quant problems. Either way, I want to know the type of scratch papers that are given during the test so I can practice using the same type of paper during my mock tests.
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1030 [0], given: 4640

CAT Tests
Re: GRE Score 150V and 154Q. How to study for retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2018, 14:50
Expert's post
I understand your point of view. I agree, as well.

However, the way you have in mind to tackle a question I do think is more important than a paper on which you will jot down your thoughts.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GRE Score 150V and 154Q. How to study for retake? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2018, 20:28
i've taken the test twice, and the scratch paper has not had lines. just plain.
Re: GRE Score 150V and 154Q. How to study for retake?   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2018, 20:28

GRE Score 150V and 154Q. How to study for retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact