It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 12:33
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2019, 13:19
Hi there,

I am in the following situation. I have a GRE appointment for next Wednesday (13.2) and thus have exactly four days left to prepare. I have already taken the GRE twice. I need a Score of ~325 (roughly 700 GMAT points) to have a reasonable chance to get accepted at my target university.

1st GRE: 10th November (Q:160 V: 158)
2nd GRE: 9th January (Q:164 V:152)

I have studied since the second test, but in the last three days I have done both PowerPrep Tests and I got whacked in the Quant part both times (Q: 160 V:158 in the first, Q: 159 V:157 in the second). In the math part, I did many simple mistakes (some algebra / percentage stuff etc.)... Maybe that's because in the last weeks I tried to push my verbal skills, English isn't my mother's tongue.

My highest V score was a 160 in an official practice test and I think that there is not much potential left. So I need to push the quant to at least 166 or 167.

What are my options:

1) Refresh quant for four days and then give the GRE a shot on Wednesday (13th). And pray for the best...

2) Reschedule my appointment tomorrow to the end of the month. Last possibility for me to take the test in order to apply in time. CAVEAT, I will fly to NYC on Thursday and stay there for one week, in which I won't be able to study a lot (maybe 1-2h/day). I would return on the 21st and have 5/6 full days afterward to fight the jetlag and to review and train math and take the test on the (28th).

I am concerned whether these 5 days after my trip will make benefit me more than the off-time in NYC sets me back. Do you guys think I should just cram and power review for four days and then give it the best I can or should I take it slow, study these days until my trip, study a couple of hours everyday in NYC and then have another five days for studying?

in short: 4 full days of last-minute prep vs. 5 days + 7days á 2h per day + 5 days.

Maybe someone has been in a similar situation...

Thanks in advance.
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 124 [1] , given: 87

Re: GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2019, 22:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The answer is a bit vague - it depends on how much you can accomplish and how much you need help. Sometimes short stretches are better than long ones. Do you actually have stuff to do and work on in the longer stretch?

My concern would be that you will completely disregard the verbal and thus end up with a lower verbal score (unless that is not a concern and you don't need to get a high verbal score). Thus I would lean more to do a longer and split prep and focus on both Q and V (analyzing your mistakes, refreshing concepts, checklists, and review, review, review).

When you travel, make sure you do your studying first thing in the morning and get it done first. I had a good experience with taking the test while traveling - it allowed me to cut off from distractions and I actually took my (GMAT in my case) while being out of town - that's a possibility to consider potentially. I feel it helped beint out of town, surprisingly.

Good Luck!

Founder of GRE Prep Club

New Project - 20 Free GRE Quant Tests

Intern
Intern

Re: GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2019, 01:19
Thanks for your insight, BB. Besides my travels, I have no other responsibilities. So during my stay there, I could study a bit in the morning and after my stay I could study for five full days without distractions..

I am also wondering how it would affect my verbal score, since I learned lots of vocabs and I tend to keep forgetting some of them. However, my target university converts the GRE score to a GMAT score and then evaluates the profile. While converting, the math score has a higher weight, so getting a higher math score is of more importance for me. As I still have today left for a decision, I will go through a variety of math stuff and then take my decision.

Right now I am leaning towards postponing the test, because I have a huge set of notes and concepts, which I couldn't fully review yet and I could still work on some RC / logic based RC techniques.

Ty
Intern
Intern

Re: GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2019, 01:40
And to add to that, I feel that I am motivated to take the shorter preparation since I am finished with the theory and the majority of exercises on the tests are manageable for me. The powerprep tests speak against my motivation..

I think I need to separate motivation and eagerness from the reality of things. Because the GRE doesn't measure my motivation but only assesses my skill in the most rational way there is...
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 124 [2] , given: 87

Re: GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2019, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Motivation is important however!

You don't want to go through painful 2-3 weeks only to lose steam and score even less. So if a faster/quicker war is better for you and you can't maintain the momentum for a few more weeks, then that may be best.

Keep in mind that studying all day long is NOT productive. You can probably pull off 3-4 hours a day max, so don't expect to retain/learn/gain much after 2x 2-hour sessions.

Good luck with your decision!
BB

Founder of GRE Prep Club

Intern
Intern

Re: GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2019, 09:59
Thank you, BB. I agree. Motivation is certainly required. And I am motivated, even if I would have to study for 2 more weeks if I know that that would bring me closer to my goal. Besides the verbal section, I can make some progress in math I guess. I am not sure whether the next three days would be sufficient for that. So postponing would have some merit for sure. Do you think if you slow down for 6 days (ny trip), that your fitness in math suffers significantly?

I will let you know how I will decide later on. Thanks ;)
Intern
Intern

Re: GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2019, 14:02
So I have come to a conclusion. I just did the math part of the second official practice test and scored only a 162, due to 6 mistakes (it is the late evening here in Europe, so my brain is not 100% fresh right now). Some questions were not sure shots and I didn't feel 100% comfortable solving them.

This gave me the thrust to reschedule my appointment and specifically review some parts of the theory as well as some exercise concepts. Also, the time during my trip will help me to relax and to regain some power after long months of applications and GRE practice.
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 124 [1] , given: 87

Re: GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2019, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
By the way, you don't need to punish and torture yourself with tests, you can instead focus on the areas where you need help and focus on those rather than do full tests over and over... unless you are practicing timing and strategy.

Good to hear you have made the decision. Good luck executing the plan!
BB

Founder of GRE Prep Club

Target Test Prep Representative
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Re: GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2019, 18:19
Expert's post
Hi Zamala,

What is the date of your rescheduled GRE? Do you need some advice on how to improve your quant skills?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
22 Reviews

5-star rated online GRE quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GRE quant course on GRE Prep Club. Read Our Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2019, 02:15
Thanks for sharing..this informations

Regards
follow class
Re: GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2019, 02:15

GRE Reschedule 4 days before Retake of GRE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact