It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 17:19
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

GRE Quantitative Comparison Tip #4 – Comparing in Parts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 64

GRE Quantitative Comparison Tip #4 – Comparing in Parts [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2014, 09:46
Expert's post

Strategy#4 Comparing in Parts

To set up today’s Quantitative Comparison (QC) strategy, please solve the following question:
Attachment:
q1.png
q1.png [ 9.63 KiB | Viewed 1262 times ]

There are several different ways to solve this question. For example, we could add the fractions in each column, and then rewrite both sums with a common denominator and then compare them (yikes!). Or, we could use the onscreen calculator to convert each fraction to a decimal and find the sum in each column (yeesh!).

Both of these approaches would take a long time.

Fortunately, we already know that, since the test-makers are reasonable, there MUST be an easier way to solve this question.
The fastest way to solve this question is to estimate and compare the columns in parts.

Here’s how it works.

First notice that 213/428 is approximately 1/2. Now, for this question, we need to be a little more accurate than that. Notice that, since 214/428 = 1/2, it must be the case that 213/428 is a little bit less than 1/2, which we’ll denote as 1/2-.

Using similar logic, we can see that, since 3007/9027 = 1/3, it must be the case that 3007/9101 is a little bit less than 1/3, which we’ll denote as 1/3-.

Next, since 731/1462 = ½, it must be the case that 741/428 is a little bit more than 1/2, which we’ll denote as 1/2+.

Using the same logic, we can see that 208/597 is a little bit more than 1/3, which we’ll denote as 1/3+.

At this point, we can simplify the two columns as:
Attachment:
q2.png
q2.png [ 2.21 KiB | Viewed 1261 times ]

From here, we can compare the two sums in parts.

Since 1/2+is greater than 1/2-, and since 1/3+ is greater than 1/3-, the sum of 1/2+ and 1/3+ must be greater than the sum of 1/2- and 1/3-.

As such, the answer must be B.

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

1 KUDOS received
GRE Instructor
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 1039 [1] , given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: GRE Quantitative Comparison Tip #4 – Comparing in Parts [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2018, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here's a related video on the topic of Comparing in Parts

Brent Hanneson – Creator of greenlighttestprep.com

Re: GRE Quantitative Comparison Tip #4 – Comparing in Parts   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2018, 12:49

GRE Quantitative Comparison Tip #4 – Comparing in Parts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact