It is currently 23 May 2019, 06:44
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

GRE Math – Help! I suck at Math!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 466 [2] , given: 64

GRE Math – Help! I suck at Math! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2014, 01:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sometimes we all need a little GRE math help. It usually doesn’t take more than the first session for a new student/tutee to look over me and confide sheepishly,

“I need help with GRE math. I’m so bad at it!”

Mind you, I hear this not only from students who haven’t seen an equilateral triangle in 20 years. Even those students who end up doing better on the quantitative section then the verbal section say this (and some continue to say this, even once they’ve scored in the top 20% on quant).

My belief is that, for the most part, the “I’m terrible in math” shtick is nothing more than an attitude. And a bad one at that. It is self-defeating, and doesn’t help students improve. Instead the refrain should be “I missed that problem…I’m going to understand why so that I will get it the next time around.” And especially if it is tough math question, your attitude should be, “I’m not the only one who got that one wrong.”

Ultimately, the whole bad at math thing is ironic: the GRE math is not your high school math. It is a test of how think logically. Numbers play only a small part. And believe it or not, even formulas are just a piece of the puzzle. In high school, you could mostly rely on memorizing the formula. Not so with the GRE.

Thus the negative attitude is most likely based on a different kind of math. So take a deep breath. You are not terrible at math! :) You are here to learn how to do well on the GRE math. So pay attention to some important points below.

Develop Number Sense

Sure, the GRE allows you to use a calculator. But using it will often slow you down. In order to make yourself a more efficient GRE test taker, at least quant-wise, you should get comfortable around numbers. Now typically is that time when the negative voice sounds in your head. But keep it at bay by doing the following.

Take a set of four numbers. For simplicity sake, I will use 1, 2, 3, and 4. Your goal is to make the number 99. You can use any of the math signs: +/-/x (my computer doesn’t have the division sign—but that one too!).

You can also use the square root sign (√), and powers of numbers, such as 2^4 = 16. The next rule, and the most important one, is do the operations in your head. That’s right no pencil and paper. We are talking about using your raw mental math skills.

Once you’ve been able to come up with 99, then choose a different set of four numbers. For instance, let’s say were born in 1987. Or maybe your address is 2995. This is a great game to play when you are waiting for the bus, a food order, or maybe a friend. Speaking of friends, it’s fun game to play with others, especially if you can figure out how to make ‘99’ first.

The point is your brain should be in number shape come time for the GRE. Or things will be noticeably more difficult for you.

Learn how the GRE works

As I said, the GRE quant is not your high school math exam. Try a few practice questions. What do you notice? Well, you’ll probably notice how the test is confusing. Indeed the answer choices are often meant to trap you. Then there is the actual question itself, which you may have to read a few times over. And of course at this point the “I’m terrible at math” voice comes roaring back. Despair not: these questions are confusing for many test takers, especially those who are seeing GRE math problems for the first time. Many people don’t even know how to start studying for GRE math.

Once you get over the initial frustration of not being able to understand what the question says, keep some of the following tips in mind.

1. Plugging in

When you see variables in the answer choices or in the problem, you do have to do algebra. In fact, algebra often gets you into trouble. By learning the technique of plugging in numbers you can make a seemingly intractable problem seem that much easier.

2. Approximation/Estimation

The great thing about the GRE is it is multiple-choice (except for the numeric entry question). Learn to look at the spread between the answer choices. Are the answer choices very close together? Are some nice round numbers, and other unpleasant, unwieldy numbers, such as 119? Often the GRE will present answer choices in such a way that you can eliminate a few obviously wrong answers, and then home in on the correct answer by approximating.

3. Know your fundamentals

At the end of the day, you have to know how to add fractions, the formula for area of the circle, how to solve work rate problems, or the rules of exponents. Learn the basics and feel comfortable applying them. Learn most of the major formulas. But remember, they are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to solving a problem. To truly get anywhere on the GRE, you have to be able to…

4. Learn how to unravel the question

This is the pith—that is, the essence—of the GRE Quant. Imagine the math problem is a riddle, and you must unravel it. In other words, you must figure out what the question is asking, and then arrive at a solution path, i.e., the necessary steps to arrive at the correct answer.

Typically, the formula stuff only comes at the very end. A common misconception amongst students is that they only need to know a formula to solve a question. This is often decidedly not the case. Without unraveling the problem first, having a formula isn’t going to get you anywhere.

My GRE Resources
Free GRE resources | GRE Prep Club Quant Tests
If you find this post helpful, please press the kudos button to let me know ! :)

Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q161 V163
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 12

Re: GRE Math – Help! I suck at Math! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2019, 01:47
A very basic and precise things to follow for a fast solving in the GRE quant. It really works.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: GRE Math – Help! I suck at Math! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2019, 03:24
I've found that I've improved massively simply by doing an excessive amount of practise questions and realising how they "try" and catch you out with things. After a while you start to realise if a certain question comes up that you can predict how they're expecting you to mess up a question.
Founder
Founder
Followers: 107

Kudos [?]: 1263 [0], given: 5988

CAT Tests
Re: GRE Math – Help! I suck at Math! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2019, 05:28
Expert's post
Hi,

in my experience if you do tons and tons of questions this path will NOT help you to improve, simply because practicing this way will only cement your bad behavior.

You should stick at the math foundation and from then move forward practice on in that area until you master every type of question and its variant as cold. When you see a question you should know already what going on and with temptation, you already do know what to do and, in case, switch on the alternative lòane to solve the problem from a different angle.

Moreover, practice for one hour or so per day. After this, your brain does not have a more absorbing capacity.

See my link how to improve quant as a whole https://greprepclub.com/forum/the-defin ... -8898.html and QCQ https://greprepclub.com/forum/gre-quant ... 10440.html

By the end of this weekend, I will post the guide for PS and QI. so stay tuned on the board.

Ask for further assistance.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 5

Re: GRE Math – Help! I suck at Math! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2019, 05:58
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:
Hi,

in my experience if you do tons and tons of questions this path will NOT help you to improve, simply because practicing this way will only cement your bad behavior.

You should stick at the math foundation and from then move forward practice on in that area until you master every type of question and its variant as cold. When you see a question you should know already what going on and with temptation, you already do know what to do and, in case, switch on the alternative lòane to solve the problem from a different angle.

Moreover, practice for one hour or so per day. After this, your brain does not have a more absorbing capacity.

Oh definitely. I've had friends go who have had serious problems because of this, they'll do something incorrectly so many times that when they learn the mistake they've made they struggle to remember which is the correct way as it's so ingrained. Personally I skipped going over the recap as I do a large amount of maths as part of my undergraduate degree but I tend to only do a handful of questions at a time and probably spend more time going over the answers, writing into a list I have of what my common mistakes are and what the correct thing is to do with each of them before moving on.
Re: GRE Math – Help! I suck at Math!   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2019, 05:58

GRE Math – Help! I suck at Math!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact