It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 06:18
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 973 [0], given: 4479

CAT Tests
Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2017, 08:36
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

40% (00:29) correct 59% (01:09) wrong based on 76 sessions

Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic model are in its portrayal of human behavior, the failure of many economists to respond to them is astonishing. They continue to fill the journals with yet more proofs of yet more (ii)_____ theorems. Others, by contrast, accept the criticisms as a challenge, seeking to expand the basic model to embrace a wider range of things people do.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
(A) overlooked (D) comprehensive
(B) occasional (E) improbable
(C) patent (F) pervasive
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

CAT Tests
Re: Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2017, 08:40
Expert's post
Explanation

Given how patent the shortcomings of the standard economic model are in its portrayal of human behavior, the failure of many economists to respond to them is astonishing. They continue to fill the journals with yet more proofs of yet more improbable theorems. Others, by contrast, accept the criticisms as a challenge, seeking to expand the basic model to embrace a wider range of things people do.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q162 V148
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 1

Re: Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2018, 03:44
This post received
KUDOS
Can anybody actually explain these instead of just fooling us and rewriting the questions only with the correct answer?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q162 V148

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2018, 03:46
This post received
KUDOS
:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Carcass wrote:
Explanation

Given how patent the shortcomings of the standard economic model are in its portrayal of human behavior, the failure of many economists to respond to them is astonishing. They continue to fill the journals with yet more proofs of yet more improbable theorems. Others, by contrast, accept the criticisms as a challenge, seeking to expand the basic model to embrace a wider range of things people do.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2018, 05:50
Carcass wrote:
Explanation

CAT Tests
Re: Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2018, 02:15
Expert's post
Guys. This is an Offical question from powerprep.

Moreover, the explanation provided is crystal clear.

Ask if you need further assistance, do not just quote. From it, anybody can infer what are you looking for.

Regards

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 16

Re: Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2018, 05:09
Carcass wrote:
Guys. This is an Offical question from powerprep.

Moreover, the explanation provided is crystal clear.

Ask if you need further assistance, do not just quote. From it, anybody can infer what are you looking for.

Regards

Carcass, Shekhar Ravi has actually requested for an explanation but your supposed explanation was to just rewrite the question and insert the correct answers. The thought process surrounding why Patent and Improbable are the answers were not given. If you can pen the thought process getting these answers, please do.
4 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 973 [4] , given: 4479

CAT Tests
Re: Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2018, 13:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I understand that the students are here to improve and learn BUT you should realize that this is a serious and difficult test. I do not wanna get into a discussion or a flame post, really far from my real intention. Nonetheless, if the students have problems to face this questions, at this level, your goal is really far to reach in a short amount of time.

back to the question.

The usual behavior of the students is kinda like this: reading the sentence, looking at the blanks to see if he/she spots some clues to relate the words to fill in, back to the question and at this stage, we have, basically, 3 options as result:

• the student getting lost
  • the student picks the wrong blanks or one correct and one no, it depends.
  • he/she nails the question without any apparent logic or full reasoning of the same.

As it turns out, all this boils down to up-front problems, even before to start to read the question itself,: the student is poor or on average in standard English and/or has a vocabulary issue.

Actually, make piece by piece the sentence and grasp as much as you can from the meaning conveyed.

Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic model are in its portrayal of human behavior, the failure of many economists to respond to them is astonishing.

What we do know here: the flaw of the economic model in its standard form to depict the human behavior and the fact the economists are not able to give clear and definitive answers to this is surpising. Even though we do have supercomputers, immense ways of the calculus of almost infinite variable, We are still not able to set up definitive rules as we could do in physic. The relative theory casts rules unchangeable for another thousand years. And they are true and tested on th field (litlle digression).

They continue to fill the journals with yet more proofs of yet more (ii)_____ theorems.

Another fact following the first statement. We do have tons of research papers to explain which is which without a definitive conclusion on a definitive argument.

Others, by contrast, accept the criticisms as a challenge, seeking to expand the basic model to embrace a wider range of things people do.

Other economists on the other hand, take the challenge and they try to move further improving our knowledge of a phenomenon, expanding the partial theories we already do set up, til now.

Now that we do have a better understanding of what is going on look at the first 3 blanks.

- overlooked. we said that the actual economic models are inadequate. As such, overlooked something has no meaning. It is completed out of context. Overlooked means that our models ignore something. This is wrong. They do not miss anything. They are incomplete and their incompleteness is surprising.

- occasional means infrequent. No so often. This word bears us something in the overall structure ?' at all. Zero. it has no sense.

- patent. our word. At this point you have two possible choices: pick it fast and move one or wait a second, be sure it fits the first part of the sentnce and move on, as well. Either way, it is our choice without think too much about.

Going to the second blank series:

- comprehensive. The second sentence is related to the first one. The first one says: we lack a good model. Nonetheless, a lot of researchers or scientists fill the knowledge arena with papers after papers without hit the nail on the head. So how the second blank can be comprehensive. They are not comprehensive because they do not provide sufficient and exaustive explanation of a phenomenon. The third sentence instead, on the other hand, says that other scientists are trying to make the comprehension wider than we actually have.

- pervasive. Pervasive is something that widely spread across an area. Completely out of scope.

- Improbable. The papers we do have NOW is improbable, is difficult, is hard they give the answers we are looking for. They still have improbable theorems that in the end give us almost nothing new or shed little light on what we wanna fully understand. Pick it and move on.

Bottom line

The students say: Ohh carcass didn't provide us a good explanation True. However, the student tried to stick out the sentence on his/her own ?? does the student take a course of action ?? Does the student reach an aggressive strategy to dissect the argument as fast as he/she can ?? I guess no.

You must attack the spaces. the words. the entire sentence without pause. Incessantly. Aggressive. Like a tank.

At the end of the day, was not so tough this question, right ?? does it ?? :roll:

Regards

Re: Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2018, 13:07

Given how (i)_____ the shortcomings of the standard economic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact