It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 01:34
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Exterminator: Using poisoned food is the most effective tact

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 982 [1] , given: 4518

CAT Tests
Exterminator: Using poisoned food is the most effective tact [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2018, 06:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

66% (01:07) correct 33% (01:13) wrong based on 36 sessions
Exterminator: Using poisoned food is the most effective tactic for combating a mouse infestation.The mouse will carry the food back to the nest, causing all of the mice to die, while a trap will kill only the one mouse that falls into it. If all signs of the mice disappear for three consecutive weeks after poisoned food is used, the homeowner can be sure that the poison was successful in eradicating the mice.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls into question the exterminator’s claim that the absence of signs for three weeks means the mice have been eradicated by the poison?

(A) Because mice hide whenever they sense humans, it is very difficult to see or hear mice even when there is an active infestation.
(B) It is more humane to use “live-catch” traps that allow homeowners to release the still- living mice outside.
(C) In the spring, many mice that nest in houses begin foraging for food outside and do not return to the comfort of the house until the fall or winter.
(D) There are several different kinds of poison that could be used, some of which are more effective than others.
(E) It sometimes takes longer than three weeks for all of the mice to ingest and die from the poison.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 6

Re: Exterminator: Using poisoned food is the most effective tact [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2018, 03:53
This post received
KUDOS
In order to answer it we should find some option which can reasonably explain why even though all sign of mice disappeared we cannot say that it eradicated the mice. C gives the best reasonable answer. Choice A may seem true but to see and hear are not only signs of mice presence.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Exterminator: Using poisoned food is the most effective tact [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2018, 04:29
This post received
KUDOS
I would like to know why C is better than A.

The explanation given for A states that "These do not represent “all signs” of an infestation; mice may leave droppings, chew things up, and so on. Further, the mice are not harder to see and hear only after poison has been used," among other things.

However, this seems like a flimsy reasoning to me. It states arbitrary possibilities as facts, which I don't understand.

For example: I can just as easily say that mice ARE harder to see and hear after poison because they become sluggish and cannot move as far. Or perhaps I can say that while these aren't the only signs of mice, any other signs don't necessarily have to be categorized as visible. Leaving droppings or chewing things can occur in places not visible to me.

I don't see their reasoning as more likely than mine by any means.

Moreover, answer C states: In the spring, many mice that nest in houses begin foraging for food outside and do not return to the comfort of the house until the fall or winter.

Two things jump out at me that should disqualify this as an answer:

1. Many mice is not all mice. This implies that some mice may not leave houses for as long or altogether.

2. It introduces seasons, implying some sort of temporal restriction, which is not part of the initial problem paragraph at all. One can just as easily say that due to this, the answer is irrelevant as we do not know WHEN exactly this infestation occurs.

Can someone help me with this?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 15

Re: Exterminator: Using poisoned food is the most effective tact [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2018, 21:42
This post received
KUDOS
projectoffset wrote:
I would like to know why C is better than A.

The explanation given for A states that "These do not represent “all signs” of an infestation; mice may leave droppings, chew things up, and so on. Further, the mice are not harder to see and hear only after poison has been used," among other things.

However, this seems like a flimsy reasoning to me. It states arbitrary possibilities as facts, which I don't understand.

For example: I can just as easily say that mice ARE harder to see and hear after poison because they become sluggish and cannot move as far. Or perhaps I can say that while these aren't the only signs of mice, any other signs don't necessarily have to be categorized as visible. Leaving droppings or chewing things can occur in places not visible to me.

I don't see their reasoning as more likely than mine by any means.

Moreover, answer C states: In the spring, many mice that nest in houses begin foraging for food outside and do not return to the comfort of the house until the fall or winter.

Two things jump out at me that should disqualify this as an answer:

1. Many mice is not all mice. This implies that some mice may not leave houses for as long or altogether.

2. It introduces seasons, implying some sort of temporal restriction, which is not part of the initial problem paragraph at all. One can just as easily say that due to this, the answer is irrelevant as we do not know WHEN exactly this infestation occurs.

Can someone help me with this?

I'll do my best to explain my interpretation of why C > A.

To start at the beginning, we are ask to weaken the premise of "the absence of signs for three weeks means the mice have been eradicated by the poison".

When I looked at A, I thought the same way the OE stated. The premise asks for absence of all signs, which include droppings, chewed up things etc. Just because I don't see or hear the mice, doesn't mean they are gone for good.

However, when I looked at C, I saw it as a more reasonable thought process. Let's say that the there is no signs whatsoever. This means no droppings, no chewed up things, no seeing mice. It's all gone. If presented with answer C, that some mice will go away and come back, it weakens what the Exterminator said. Answer (A) gives you leeway in the sense that mice could still be active in those three weeks but you just wouldn't know it. Answer (C) says that they are not active in those 3 weeks, but they will come back after those three weeks.

Sorry if my explanation is poor, I tried.
Re: Exterminator: Using poisoned food is the most effective tact   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2018, 21:42

Exterminator: Using poisoned food is the most effective tact

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact