It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 16:35
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

During a sales contest at a local electronics store, 65 empl

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 4750
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1664 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
During a sales contest at a local electronics store, 65 empl [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2017, 20:51
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

100% (00:42) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
During a sales contest at a local electronics store, 65 employees sold a total of $91,000 worth of merchandise. If the standard deviation of sales among those employees was $130 and the sales were normally distributed, what percentage of employees sold $1270 or more worth of merchandise?

A. 28%
B. 50%
C. 65%
D. 84%
E. 98%

Drill 3
Question: 11
Page: 530

_________________

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 4750
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 1664 [0], given: 396

CAT Tests
Re: During a sales contest at a local electronics store, 65 empl [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2017, 15:27
Expert's post
Expalanation

Set up your standard bell curve with the proper percentage markers of 2%, 16%, 34% on each side of the central average line. Use an average wheel to find the average sales amount in dollars; you should get 91,000 ÷ 65 = 1400 as the average.

Note that at the 50% mark, and then note the amounts at each deviation above and below the average by adding or subtracting the given standard deviation of $130. Once you’ve filled in the curve, look for $1270 from the question. It is at the 16% mark, indicating that less than 16% of employees sold under $1270 worth of merchandise. Therefore, the other 84% of employees were able to sell $1270 or more worth of merchandise, making choice D the correct answer.
_________________

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: During a sales contest at a local electronics store, 65 empl   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2017, 15:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

During a sales contest at a local electronics store, 65 empl

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GRE® test is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by ETS®.