It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 05:05
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Country X has three coins in its currency: a duom worth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1029 [0], given: 4636

CAT Tests
Country X has three coins in its currency: a duom worth [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2017, 08:20
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

50% (01:42) correct 50% (01:08) wrong based on 18 sessions

Country X has three coins in its currency: a duom worth 2 cents, a trippim worth 11 cents, and a megam worth 19 cents. If a man has $3.21 worth of Country X's currency and cannot carry more than 20 coins, what is the least number of trip­pim he could have?

A. 0

B. 1

C. 2

D. 3

E. It cannot be determined.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 69

Re: Country X has three coins in its currency: a duom worth [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2018, 05:49
This post received
KUDOS
A duom worth 2 cents, a trippim worth 11 cents, and a megam worth 19 cents. So in order to minimize the number of trip­pim we have to maximize the number of other coins. Since we can use max 20 coins, starting with option A, we can maximize the megam to 16 and remain 17 cents which cannot be covered with duoms. Considering option B, we can maximize the megam to 16 and remain 6 cents which can be covered with duoms.
So the answer is B.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 38

Re: Country X has three coins in its currency: a duom worth [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2018, 09:14
YMAkib wrote:
A duom worth 2 cents, a trippim worth 11 cents, and a megam worth 19 cents. So in order to minimize the number of trip­pim we have to maximize the number of other coins. Since we can use max 20 coins, starting with option A, we can maximize the megam to 16 and remain 17 cents which cannot be covered with duoms. Considering option B, we can maximize the megam to 16 and remain 6 cents which can be covered with duoms.
So the answer is B.

I also applied the same logic to this question, and concluded B as the answer, but I was not confident, as I thought perhaps there is a trick in the question I did not notice. Is there other, algebraic solution other than using logic.

What you think, you become.

1 KUDOS received
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 0

Re: Country X has three coins in its currency: a duom worth [#permalink] New post 21 May 2018, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Carcass wrote:

Country X has three coins in its currency: a duom worth 2 cents, a trippim worth 11 cents, and a megam worth 19 cents. If a man has $3.21 worth of Country X's currency and cannot carry more than 20 coins, what is the least number of trip­pim he could have?

A. 0

B. 1

C. 2

D. 3

E. It cannot be determined.

Let d, t and m be the number of duom, trippim and megam, respectively. We can create the equation and the inequality:

2d + 11t + 19m = 321 and d + t + m ≤ 20

Since we want to minimize the number of trippim, we want to maximize the number of megam since it is worth the most. Let’s consider 321/19 = 16 R 17. That is, if we have 16 megam, we will have 17 cents left. So we can have 3 duom and 1 trippim to make up the 17 cents. In this case, we see that have only 1 trippim.

Remember we cannot have zero trippim because if we do, the duoms will have a cent value that it even; however 17 is odd.

Therefore, 1 is the least number of trippim we can have under the conditions given.

Answer: B

Jeffery Miller
Head of GRE Instruction

GRE Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Re: Country X has three coins in its currency: a duom worth   [#permalink] 21 May 2018, 10:31

Country X has three coins in its currency: a duom worth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact