It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 05:49
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Car A started driving north from point X traveling at a cons

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 1612 [0], given: 375

CAT Tests
Car A started driving north from point X traveling at a cons [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2018, 16:21
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

16% (00:53) correct 83% (02:45) wrong based on 6 sessions
Car A started driving north from point X traveling at a constant rate of 40 miles per hour. One hour later, car B started driving north from point X at a constant rate of 30 miles per hour. Neither car changed direction of travel. If each car started with 8 gallons of fuel, which is consumed at a rate of 30 miles per gallon, how many miles apart were the two cars when car A ran out of fuel?

(A) 30
(B) 60
(C) 90
(D) 120
(E) 150
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 464 [0], given: 82

CAT Tests
Re: Car A started driving north from point X traveling at a cons [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2018, 22:50
From question,

Each car is supplied with 8 gallons of fuel. A gallon of fuel is good for 30 miles.
Therefore, with 8 gallons total distance that could be covered before completely exhausting the fuel is 30 * 8 = 240 miles.

Car A can travel at a rate of 40 miles per hr. Hence, if car A travels 240 miles at a speed of 40 miles per hr. It will take a total of \(240/40 = 6\) hrs to do this.

Car B started 1 hr late than Car A in moving at the same direction. Hence car B traveled only \(5\) hrs when car A ran out of fuel.
In 5 hrs car B covered a distance of \(30 * 5 = 150\) miles.
Hence the difference between the distances covered by A and B would be \(240 - 150 = 90 miles.\)

This is my response to the question and may be incorrect. Feel free to rectify any mistakes

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 1612 [0], given: 375

CAT Tests
Re: Car A started driving north from point X traveling at a cons [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2018, 06:14
Expert's post
Explanation

The question asks (indirectly) how far the two cars traveled, as those distances are necessary to find the distance between them. Since the cars go in the same direction, the skeleton equation is as follows:

Car A’s distance – Car B’s distance = Distance between cars

All distances refer to the time when car A ran out of fuel.

Since the limiting factor in this case is A’s fuel supply, calculate how far the car is able to drive before running out of fuel. This in itself is a rate problem of sorts:

30 miles per gallon × 8 gallons = 240 miles

So car A will end up 240 miles north of its starting point, which happens 240 ÷ 40 = 6 hours after it started. What about car B? It started an hour later and thus traveled (30 miles per hour)(6 hours – 1 hour) = 150 miles by that time.

Therefore, the two cars were 240 – 150 = 90 miles apart when car A ran out of fuel.

Sandy
If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

Try our free Online GRE Test

Re: Car A started driving north from point X traveling at a cons   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2018, 06:14

Car A started driving north from point X traveling at a cons

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact