It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 17:07
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Can you make up statistics/people/figures?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Can you make up statistics/people/figures? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2017, 07:14
Hi all,

While I'd assume true statistics/people/figures are preferable, if I used information that is not real or accurate in the AWA will that work against my score?

For example, the OG Score 6 example response for the Issue Task states that a computer "processes information on silicon bridges that are .09 microns wide." Additionally, it mentions that "Jeffrey Sachs, one of the architects of the UN Millennium Development Goals, based his ideas on emergency care triage techniques."

Of course, during a test it might be hard to recall such specific examples with accuracy. If you erroneously wrote "that are .9 microns wide" or credited Jeffrey Sachs ideas to someone else (or someone imaginary) would this have a tangible effect on the AWA score?

My guess is that--while real facts are preferable--they wouldn't even be aware of fake or erroneous statistics. Will a reader take the time to look up the width of microns?

Just wanted other opinions, thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 965 [1] , given: 4466

CAT Tests
Re: Can you make up statistics/people/figures? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2017, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You score is based on HOW you write in standard English: the correctness, the spelling of the words correct or not, the scheme of your awa if it is coherent or less and so on...

Writing a good awa (at least 4.5 or above) requires following certain criteria and guidelines such as not bias against some people or ethnicity group, or even worse racist opinions.

More than this, you can cite or write any kind of stats, wrong or right that they are, it does not matter for your evaluation.

Hope this helps

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Re: Can you make up statistics/people/figures?   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2017, 11:51

Can you make up statistics/people/figures?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact