It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 10:56
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

But they pay little attention to the opposite and more treac

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1035 [2] , given: 4660

CAT Tests
But they pay little attention to the opposite and more treac [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2018, 10:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

35% (00:43) correct 64% (00:58) wrong based on 57 sessions
But they pay little attention to the opposite and more treacherous failing: false certainty, refusing to confess their mistakes and implicitly claiming (i) ______ , thereby embarrassing the nation and undermining the Constitution, which established various mechanisms of self-correction on the premise that even the wisest men are sometimes wrong and need, precisely when they find it most (ii) ______ , the benefit of (iii) ______ process.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
(A) infallibility (D) discomfiting (G) an adaptable
(B) immunity (E) expedient(H) a remedial
(C) impartiality (F) imminent(I) an injudicious
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 44 [2] , given: 0

Re: But they pay little attention to the opposite and more treac [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2018, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass wrote:
But they pay little attention to the opposite and more treacherous failing: false certainty, refusing to confess their mistakes and implicitly claiming (i) ______ , thereby embarrassing the nation and undermining the Constitution, which established various mechanisms of self-correction on the premise that even the wisest men are sometimes wrong and need, precisely when they find it most (ii) ______ , the benefit of (iii) ______ process.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)Blank (iii)
(A) infallibility (D) discomfiting (G) an adaptable
(B) immunity (E) expedient(H) a remedial
(C) impartiality (F) imminent(I) an injudicious

The first part talks about how "they" can fall into the trap of FALSE CERTAINTY. That implies that "they" cannot conceive they can make mistakes. Someone like that would classify themselves as infallible (infallibility). The second part talks about how the Constitution has mechanisms that are intended to prevent people from making mistakes. That is remedial in nature. People who believe themselves to be infallible would be very uncomfortable (discomfiting) if they had to deal with something that may prove them wrong.

Answers A, D and H
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Re: But they pay little attention to the opposite and more treac [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2018, 14:30
can it be adaptable if remedial was not an option?
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 1035 [0], given: 4660

CAT Tests
Re: But they pay little attention to the opposite and more treac [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2018, 01:49
Expert's post
The word you pointed out is adaptive

The word remedial means to cure a malady.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

GRE Forum Moderator
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 26

Re: But they pay little attention to the opposite and more treac [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2018, 11:17
I am finding a little difficult to convince myself that the second answer should be discomfiting and not expedient. Doesn't "precisely when they find it most" directs to the point that the blank should be filled with something opposite of embarrassing? As for the third one, wise politicians are allowed to make mistakes and provided with scopes to make amends in the constitution. That is why it should be remedial. But the word adaptive directs that the constitution changes with the course of action of the politicians. Can you please make me understand this at length?

Regards,
Scrat
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 38

Re: But they pay little attention to the opposite and more treac [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2018, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
The wisest approach for this TC is to quickly recognize the reference, "they," which relates to the above mentioned "infallible people." After recognizing it, it's clear that they should not treat well to the self-correcting mechanisms of the constitution. Out of the three choices, only discomfiting (embarrassing)fits the context. The third blank continues the voice of the author, as the author keeps describing the benefit of the constitution, only remedial is good for it.

What you think, you become.

Re: But they pay little attention to the opposite and more treac   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2018, 13:18

But they pay little attention to the opposite and more treac

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact