It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 03:07
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

At a dinner party, 40 percent of the guests wore both jacket

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 22

At a dinner party, 40 percent of the guests wore both jacket [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2018, 16:26
This post received
KUDOS
00:00

Question Stats:

85% (01:08) correct 14% (04:09) wrong based on 7 sessions
At a dinner party, 40 percent of the guests wore both jackets and ties. If 50 percent of the guests who wore jackets did not wear ties, what percent of the guests wore jackets?

A. 20 percent
B. 40 percent
C. 60 percent
D. 70 percent
E. 80 percent
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 86

CAT Tests
Re: At a dinner party, 40% of the guests wore both jackets and t [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2018, 20:08
awamy wrote:
At a dinner party, 40% of the guests wore both jackets and ties.
if 50% of the guests who wore jackets didn't wear ties, what % of the guests were jackets?
A) 20%
B) 40%
C) 60%
D) 70%
E) 80%

Hello awamy,

I have seen you have posted 16 posts.

Can i request you to read the rules of posting before you post anything. This help to keep the greprep club segregated with the type of Question/Topic and also helps to search the particular topic. Also share the SOURCE of the topic

https://greprepclub.com/forum/rules-for ... -1083.html.

Thanks and keep posting

If you found this post useful, please let me know by pressing the Kudos Button

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 0

Re: At a dinner party, 40% of the guests wore both jackets and t [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2018, 23:26
This post received
KUDOS
This is an overlapping set. You can recognize these because it's possible to do two things at once, or neither, or just one; in this case it's wearing a jacket and/or a tie. Many people use Venn diagrams for these but Venn diagrams can be confusing. An Overlapping Set Table is much easier. Simply draw three vertical and three horizontal lines and then label them with the two possibilities and their opposites. Consult the attached image for an example. Then just fill in the parts of the table. The boxes in every row and column should add to the total.

In this problem, we aren't given any numbers; rather we're given percents. No biggie. Just pretend that the total number of people is 100 and then treat the percents we're given as though they're actually totals. This allows us to fill out the table as illustrated below. Therefore the answer is E.
Attachments

jackets and ties.jpg
jackets and ties.jpg [ 22.3 KiB | Viewed 358 times ]

-
-
-
-
-

Need help with GRE math? Check out our ground-breaking books and app.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 33

Re: At a dinner party, 40% of the guests wore both jackets and t [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2018, 20:42
I am bit confused with the last bit of your answer. If 50% of the guests who wore jackets didn't wear ties, then shouldn't the "No Tie and Jacket" cell be 50? And so the total # of jackets will be 90. So 90%? But 90% is not in the answers so I could be wrong.

SherpaPrep wrote:
This is an overlapping set. You can recognize these because it's possible to do two things at once, or neither, or just one; in this case it's wearing a jacket and/or a tie. Many people use Venn diagrams for these but Venn diagrams can be confusing. An Overlapping Set Table is much easier. Simply draw three vertical and three horizontal lines and then label them with the two possibilities and their opposites. Consult the attached image for an example. Then just fill in the parts of the table. The boxes in every row and column should add to the total.

In this problem, we aren't given any numbers; rather we're given percents. No biggie. Just pretend that the total number of people is 100 and then treat the percents we're given as though they're actually totals. This allows us to fill out the table as illustrated below. Therefore the answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 38

Re: At a dinner party, 40% of the guests wore both jackets and t [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2018, 08:15
good problem, especially the part when one should make an equation as 40+x(0.5)=x, where x represents the total number of the ones who wore jacket.
then 40=x-0.5x which yields x=80

What you think, you become.

Re: At a dinner party, 40% of the guests wore both jackets and t   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2018, 08:15

At a dinner party, 40 percent of the guests wore both jacket

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact