It is currently 27 Nov 2020, 21:29
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

An overly ____(i)____ set of instructions set down by the fo

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Founder
Founder
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Followers: 315

Kudos [?]: 3681 [0], given: 12936

CAT Tests
An overly ____(i)____ set of instructions set down by the fo [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2020, 13:41
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

48% (01:01) correct 51% (01:03) wrong based on 56 sessions
An overly ____(i)____ set of instructions set down by the founder of a charitable trust for its trustees may cause the trust to be eventually dissolved, particularly in light of changing environment and trends. For example, if a prosperous horse-cart manufacturer in the early 1900s endowed a foundation which is only empowered to grant scholarships to amateur horse-cart manufacturers, the social impact of the foundation will _____(ii)____ in modern times as the number of such amateur horse-cart manufacturers falls. Finally, when there are no more such manufacturers, the founder’s heirs would be able to petition the courts to ____(iii)______ the foundation and assign its assets to them.

Blank (i) Blank (ii) Blank (iii)
A. ill conceived D. dwindle G. disavow
B. obsolete E. burgeon H. dissolve
C. rigid F. vacillate I. monetise

Aristotle
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the GRE, and GRE CLUB Forum?
GRE: All you do need to know about the GRE Test | GRE Prep Club for the GRE Exam - The Complete FAQ
Search GRE Specific Questions | Download Vault
Posting Rules: QUANTITATIVE | VERBAL
FREE Resources: GRE Prep Club Official LinkTree Page | Free GRE Materials - Where to get it!! (2020)
Free GRE Prep Club Tests: Got 20 Kudos? You can get Free GRE Prep Club Tests
GRE Prep Club on : Facebook | Instagram

Questions' Banks and Collection:
ETS: ETS Free PowerPrep 1 & 2 All 320 Questions Explanation. | ETS All Official Guides
3rd Party Resource's: All Quant Questions Collection | All Verbal Questions Collection
Books: All GRE Best Books
Scores: The GRE average score at Top 25 Business Schools 2020 Ed. | How to study for GRE retake and score HIGHER - (2020)
How is the GRE Score Calculated -The Definitive Guide (2021)
Tests: GRE Prep Club Tests | FREE GRE Practice Tests [Collection] - New Edition (2021)
Vocab: GRE Prep Club Official Vocabulary Lists for the GRE (2021)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: An overly ____(i)____ set of instructions set down by the fo [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2020, 02:19
explanation?
Founder
Founder
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Followers: 315

Kudos [?]: 3681 [0], given: 12936

CAT Tests
Re: An overly ____(i)____ set of instructions set down by the fo [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2020, 10:18
Expert's post
Tough sentence even though is not the end of the world, but tricky

always divide this long sentences into chunks and NOT see the answers choices. Maybe just in the beginning to have a roughly idea but not more than this for not being bias

An overly ____(i)____ set of instructions set down by the founder of a charitable trust for its trustees may cause the trust to be eventually dissolved, particularly in light of changing environment and trends.

Now, this sentence tells us that the creation of a trust with its rules should be in a certain manner. I.E those rules which govern the trust should adhere to certain standards, particularly to resist and being updated overtime and the environment changing. Looking to the answer choices obsolete does not fit because we need a word that reflects the fact that the trust will hold over time. Therefore, the word is A or C. keep them for now and see what happens reading ahead.

For example, if a prosperous horse-cart manufacturer in the early 1900s endowed a foundation which is only empowered to grant scholarships to amateur horse-cart manufacturers, the social impact of the foundation will _____(ii)____ in modern times as the number of such amateur horse-cart manufacturers falls.

Basically this sentence tells us that IF a certain foundation for the manufacture of horse cart grants ONLY scholarship to the students to produce ONLy one item, in this example horse-cart in the early 900, OVERTIME this trust will have difficulty to grant the same when horse-cart are no longer produced because the technology will advance - think for instance to the invention of the car by Herny Ford. among the answer choices E and F are out of scope. We need a word that express the concept above: D means to reduce the social impact I.E. the fact that the trust could help amateur manufactures D is the second blank

Finally, when there are no more such manufacturers, the founder’s heirs would be able to petition the courts to ____(iii)______ the foundation and assign its assets to them.

In the end, when we will not have anymore manufactures descendants they can ask to a court to dissolve the foundation and assign the remaining assets. G (refuse) and I(changing something into money) are not correct. H is correct.

Back to the first blank , considering the meaning of the sentence the rules for the trust are NOT ill-conceived but rigid. C is the first blank.

Overall, the meaning is that the trust when is created should have its own rules flexible, to guarantee its own existence over the decades and cope with new manufactures.

C,D, and H are the answer choices

New to the GRE, and GRE CLUB Forum?
GRE: All you do need to know about the GRE Test | GRE Prep Club for the GRE Exam - The Complete FAQ
Search GRE Specific Questions | Download Vault