It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 04:54
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

A retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau for reasons other th

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

A retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau for reasons other th [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2017, 08:01
00:00

Question Stats:

80% (00:39) correct 20% (00:52) wrong based on 10 sessions
A retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau for reasons other than the solitude that it provided. Thoreau believed that (i) ________ the untamed put him in touch with an (ii) ________ that, by definition, could not be replicated by the schemings of 19th-century man.
Blank (i)
A. deflection of
B. immersion in
C. lionization of

Blank (ii)
B. immersion in
C. lionization of
D. unpredictability
E. austerity
F. simplicity
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q164 V153
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: A retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau for reasons other th [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2017, 17:50
This post received
KUDOS
The answer should be B and F.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: A retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau for reasons other th [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2018, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
I think its should be B & E, not B & F, an simplicity is incorrect.... the untamed put him in touch with an simplicity that, by definition, could not be replicated by the schemings of 19th-century man.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 0

Re: A retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau for reasons other th [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2018, 16:18
This post received
KUDOS
Shibbir Ahamed wrote:
A retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau for reasons other than the solitude that it provided. Thoreau believed that (i) ________ the untamed put him in touch with an (ii) ________ that, by definition, could not be replicated by the schemings of 19th-century man.
Blank (i)
A. deflection of
B. immersion in
C. lionization of

Blank (ii)
B. immersion in
C. lionization of
D. unpredictability
E. austerity
F. simplicity

I think it's B and F. This passage is referring to Thoreau's "Walden" which I read in high school. The book heavily focuses on the simplicity of a life iin the woods without the comforts civilization provides.
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 976 [0], given: 4497

CAT Tests
Re: A retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau for reasons other th [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2018, 13:45
Expert's post
This question is incomplete in its answer choices.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau for reasons other th [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2018, 10:03
B and D There are more clues for the first blank, so start there. Since “a retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau,” he most likely absorbed himself in the untamed. The word closest in meaning to absorbed is immersion. What did “immersion in the untamed” put Thoreau in touch with? A good guess would be the word untamed. Of the choices, the word closest in meaning to untamed is unpredictability. :-D
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 976 [0], given: 4497

CAT Tests
Re: A retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau for reasons other th [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2018, 10:50
Expert's post
Post locked.

Follow the rules and most important thing: how a real GRE question is formulated with its blanks.

Regards

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Re: A retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau for reasons other th   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2018, 10:50

A retreat to nature appealed to Thoreau for reasons other th

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact