It is currently 23 Feb 2019, 15:12
My Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

A new school of thought has it that innate talent can be con

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 89

Kudos [?]: 1120 [0], given: 5191

CAT Tests
A new school of thought has it that innate talent can be con [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2018, 07:55
Expert's post
00:00

Question Stats:

34% (00:33) correct 65% (00:48) wrong based on 35 sessions
A new school of thought has it that innate talent can be conveniently (i) ______ a series of readily (ii) ______ factors. Mozart’s genius, then, is no divine blessing of the type conferred on a select few, but is simply the result of a patriarchal father who stressed, above else, thousands upon thousands of hours of grueling practice.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
(A) reduced to (D) intrusive
(B) misattributed to (E) quantifiable
(C) measured by (F) pervasive
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the 2 FREE GREPrepclub Tests

Director
Director
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: A new school of thought has it that innate talent can be con [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2019, 19:33
Any explanation please?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: A new school of thought has it that innate talent can be con [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2019, 03:35
Carcass wrote:
A new school of thought has it that innate talent can be conveniently (i) ______ a series of readily (ii) ______ factors. Mozart’s genius, then, is no divine blessing of the type conferred on a select few, but is simply the result of a patriarchal father who stressed, above else, thousands upon thousands of hours of grueling practice.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
(A) reduced to (D) intrusive
(B) misattributed to (E) quantifiable
(C) measured by (F) pervasive

There is not sufficient information to fill the two blanks after reading the first sentence. Two possible pairs of choices seem to make sense. In order select accurately, we read the second sentence in the paragraph. We are told that Mozart's genius is not the "blessing of the type conferred on a select few", but is the result of thousands of hours of grueling practice. The emphasis on "thousands" and "practice", which are contrasted against "divine blessing" suggests something that is methodical or measurable. Therefore, quantifiable is the best choice for the second blank. It makes sense to say "a series of readily quantifiable factors" but not "a series of readily intrusive factors" or "a series of readily pervasive factors", because there are no clues to suggest the factors are intrusive or pervasive.

Now coming to the first blank. We need a phrase that will describe how innate talent can be rendered as a series of readily quantifiable factors. Since Mozart's genius is quantifiable because of the thousands of hours of practice, we cannot call it a misattribution, so we can eliminate misattributed to. Now we have to choose between measured by and reduced to. The word "conveniently" before the blank and the later phrase "simply the result of" suggests breaking down a complex idea to its constituent parts, therefore, reduced to is the best choice, even though measured by is tempting given "quantifiable factors".
Re: A new school of thought has it that innate talent can be con   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2019, 03:35

A new school of thought has it that innate talent can be con

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GRE Prep Club Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GRE Prep Club Rules| Contact